PDA

View Full Version : Getting in and out of your Cat??

CNC
11-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm new to Cat ownership so be patient ...... I will have plenty of questions in the coming year. (7 months before I see water)

1) How do you get in and out of your cat when your anchored (I hate beaching the boat) offshore w/out getting filleted of gutted? Ladder options? Do you put prop covers on so the same doesn't happen to passersby? recomendation for pro covers or maybe I'll design and make my own.

Randy

inbetween
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't have a cat but our Formula currently has no swim platform. We use the tie bar, trim tabs or the drives themselves. Just gotta be really careful around the props. That's a beautiful boat. Got any more pics?

getchasum111
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm new to Cat ownership so be patient ...... I will have plenty of questions in the coming year. (7 months before I see water)

1) How do you get in and out of your cat when your anchored (I hate beaching the boat) offshore w/out getting filleted of gutted? Ladder options? Do you put prop covers on so the same doesn't happen to passersby? recomendation for pro covers or maybe I'll design and make my own.

Randy

tell us a little more about your boat...

CNC
11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't have a cat but our Formula currently has no swim platform. We use the tie bar, trim tabs or the drives themselves. Just gotta be really careful around the props. That's a beautiful boat. Got any more pics?

I thought the paint look a bit to much by the pics..... But up close it is kicka$$

Offshore Ginger
11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
tell us a little more about your boat...Make , ext , ext :)

stecz20
11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
i hope you have some better pics, that pig looks mean... im not sure why you would want to get out of that, all my time in a cat the fun started at 80 and then went on from there.... good luck with her, give us some better pics.....

stecz20
11-08-2008, 05:24 PM
there ya go.. we were posting at the same time...

CNC
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Make , ext , ext :)
1997 31 ft AwesomeCat
Fresh in 2007 572 CI. NA. 750 HP Motors AFR 335 Heads. Dart Big "M"
Block, Merlin Marine X Intakes, Barry Grant 1090 CFM Marine Carbs, Hyd.
Roller Cams, Stellings pipes, BAM 1500 Tranny's, #5 Speed Masters,
Stellings Stand-off Box, Full Latham Hyd. Steering. Boat runs 110 + mph.
Has sleep in cabin too. Bottom of boat redesigned along with transom in
2005 by Art Lilly

They were blower motors ....... As I get some time under my belt I plan on Procharging w/the same setup (avatar) as I had in my Baja(572 w/1078hp). Only difference is ths boat is bult to handle the HP and speed the Baja

CNC
11-08-2008, 05:34 PM
opps .... the Baja wasn't designed for

inbetween
11-08-2008, 05:34 PM
That paint is awesome! So is the boat.

Trim'd Up
11-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Looks like a nice setup. I bet it looks real nice in person. I have been considering and awesome or chris cat etc. I like the fact that they still have a cuddy and they ride nice. I will probably just keep my paid for baja for now though.

timewarp
11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
The previous owner of my Spectre added a swim ladder like this, there is a mount on the transom and a pair of clips on the bulkhead to store it in, it works good but I think I would prefer just a swimstep mounted in the center between the motors instead, then it's ready to go all the time. You just have to make sure that everyone knows to stay away from the props as they swim between the drives and watch their heads on the tiebar as they swim under it. It's also nice to have a handle up on the top of the transom.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Boat_Accessories/Boat_Ladders_Swim_Platforms/SportDive_Boat_Ladder/index.asp

Offshore Ginger
11-08-2008, 07:00 PM
1997 31 ft AwesomeCat
Fresh in 2007 572 CI. NA. 750 HP Motors AFR 335 Heads. Dart Big "M"
Block, Merlin Marine X Intakes, Barry Grant 1090 CFM Marine Carbs, Hyd.
Roller Cams, Stellings pipes, BAM 1500 Tranny's, #5 Speed Masters,
Stellings Stand-off Box, Full Latham Hyd. Steering. Boat runs 110 + mph.
Has sleep in cabin too. Bottom of boat redesigned along with transom in
2005 by Art Lilly

They were blower motors ....... As I get some time under my belt I plan on Procharging w/the same setup (avatar) as I had in my Baja(572 w/1078hp). Only difference is ths boat is bult to handle the HP and speed the Baja I just looked at a 31 that needs major work done inside and out and hoping to do the work , blueprinting bottom , bonding hull to deck , tapping in bulk heads , custom hatches with scoupes , flooring , ext ext ext . Overall your boat l@@ks great and another fine product made here in Michigan ,OFFSHORE GINGER

Griff
11-09-2008, 01:49 AM
As for the original question..........My AT didn't have a swim platform when I got it and I don't have a ladder. We just stepped the tie bar and tops of the drives. You do have to be careful. We still use the tie bar and drives with the swim platform as well since a ladder really wouldn't work with the ext box set back that I have.

Seafordguy
11-09-2008, 09:00 AM
We always step on the K-planes.

We had two prop injuries last year.

A buddy of my brother (a bigger guy) cut his leg to the bone and had to have 23 stiches to repair it - Literally within 1 minute of me telling him to be careful just hanging out by the props.

And then I cut my side to the bone trying to jump out of the water and moon a couple buddies of mine..... Definitely needed stiches but I didn't go because I switched my insurance plan to a 50/50 plan......

Any method of getting in where you avoid being around, or stepping on the drives should be considered the best method if you ask me. There are also lots of other places to cut yourself on those drives - nuts, bolts, trim indicators, drive showers - it is just an accident waiting to happen

phragle
11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I have allways thought a fold up (removable) swim ladder over the side of the boat, held in by a couple pins (like fenders) would be a much safer method...

Bobcat
11-09-2008, 09:18 AM
www.slideanchor.com made a step platform for the beach that hooked on a cleat that might be good for open water

KnotRight
11-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Awsome boat bro!

Lot of hours in that paintjob.

Getting in and out is the same as a Vee. Step on the outdrive
and watch ya toes:)

Good luck!

catmando
11-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Looks like a nice setup. I bet it looks real nice in person. I have been considering and awesome or chris cat etc. I like the fact that they still have a cuddy and they ride nice. I will probably just keep my paid for baja for now though.The Chris cat morphed into American Offshore under Ed Ferro and the Shadow cat was renamed Awesome. I think Jim and Marie Jones were the first owners(I could be wrong).

I've seen 0-60 times under 10sec for the AO with 1400hp and that's with Bravo1 drives. Raceboat seating, four on the back bench, two cabin doors, handles very well, smooth ride in 3-4s, great lake boat and performs well in the salt too. I'm sure the Awesome has similar performance.

Beak Boater
11-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Have fun...be careful. That boat belonged to a good friend of mine here in MD, before you bought it. Martin was killed in a boating accident in another boat. I wondered where it went when Julie told me she sold it. Enjoy

VetteLT193
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I have a rope ladder that I got from wal mart... hangs on a cleat and folds up really small

GENERAL LEE
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
My boat has a nice step on the outside of the tunnel extention.

Middle boat:

jmeng
11-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Always wondered the same thing. Thought about an outboard cat (28 Skater, 30 Spectre, etc) for the next boat but wasn't sure how it would work out when rafting up, swimming, etc.

OldSchool
11-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Have fun...be careful. That boat belonged to a good friend of mine here in MD, before you bought it. Martin was killed in a boating accident in another boat. I wondered where it went when Julie told me she sold it. Enjoy

Martin always had a smile on his face when he was out on that boat!:(