PDA

View Full Version : 350 Merc Mag Intake Man restrictors

PARADOX
09-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Putting the new block back into the Formula. The intake manifold gasket sets comes with a SST restrictor plate, for the center port.
Based on the "directions" some motors needs the restrictors, some don't
Replacement motor is an 86. 350 V-8. I think it's a 2 main seal and have the valve cover bolts in the middle. Do I need the restrictors? or not?
Also.. since it is NOTa closed cooling system, does the thermostat needs to be installed? I know the T stat restricts water speed, but since it is always "raw"/sea water, do I need it?

Thx

P

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I looked,, not sure on the restrictor. What type choke does it have electric or the coil thing? The coil thing needs the cross over open I believe.

The 82 -86 card shows a 1 piece main seal and early valve covers. The 87 shows 1 piece seal and top bolt valve covers. ???

You always need a thermostat. With out it the cool water entering can run right out. It will give a false low temp reading while not forcing water to the rear of the motor.

PARADOX
09-19-2009, 01:04 PM
THanks. I will put in a T stat.
What I know is that in 86 there were two options on the valve cover bolt pattern. I have the 4 bolts in the middle, but the main seal seems to be the 2 part.
The choke is the srping type. THe flywheel plate is a strange shaped thing, Not cymetrical (or round, somewhat a round and rectangle combo) like in the later models.