PDA

View Full Version : project baron

baronmarine
11-08-2008, 12:55 AM
with all you guys buying and restoring 20' cigs and old donzis. i was thinking it's about time for me to jump in. so about 6 weeks ago i started my own little project that was turned into more work then i was looking for. but here we go. i have a 1978 baron (org. powerplay xlt185) that i have had since 1986. it was not been in the water in about 5 years now. i got it out of a warehouse we use to own this past summer and brought it home. about 6 weeks ago i got started on it. the transom and stringers are much worst then i through. but as of tonite i have the deck and hull apart and i'm making some head way. here are a few pics. in action in its day and in the shop coming apart.
todd

baronmarine
11-08-2008, 12:58 AM
man my hair has no gray in it in those pics?? here is a few more in my shop.
todd

baronmarine
11-08-2008, 01:00 AM
and a couple more with the rub rail off. i'll get some more up tomorrow of the deck loose and setting on 2x4s on the hull.
todd

Airpacker
11-08-2008, 01:30 AM
looks like a looooong road ahead. good luck with her

Offshore Ginger
11-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Todd what's up and are you ready for snow ? Art

baronmarine
11-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Todd what's up and are you ready for snow ? Art

hey art
long time no hear. just got back from nelson's speed shop. $300 in sled parts. got my eye on a new one. but i think mrs baron would make me sleep with it.
todd

Offshore Ginger
11-08-2008, 02:48 PM
hey art
long time no hear. just got back from nelson's speed shop. $300 in sled parts. got my eye on a new one. but i think mrs baron would make me sleep with it.
todd Todd same here and i got my eye on two new one's , but i think i would be in the same boat .

baronmarine
11-09-2008, 10:05 PM
here is a few pic's of the deck and hull apart.
todd

baronmarine
11-09-2008, 10:07 PM
and a few more. the last one is the seat bulkhead. that was a treat cutting that out. glassed on both sides and the way to the top. going to build a cart to set the deck on so i call move it around.
todd

Offshore Ginger
11-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Great winter project hey? :)

fast fun 2
11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I can smell the glass from here. Just finished a project my self. Good luck with her

tommymonza
11-12-2008, 08:03 AM
What a PIECE of CRAP:26:

J-Bonz
11-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Great project BM.................. Have you ever done this type of work before?
Jr.

tommymonza
11-12-2008, 09:26 PM
No he does not have a clue . JUNK IT and send me the Arneson, I will give you scrap price from a month ago for it:26:

baronmarine
11-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Great project BM.................. Have you ever done this type of work before?
Jr.
hey bonz
long time no hear. just watched the cig video the other night that you sent me. and yes i have done 3 others. and its not as fun as i remember. i also spent a lot of time at saber marine over the years. so i have a pretty good handle. as long as i don't listen tmonza. it should go good. hey tommy who let you in??
todd

tommymonza
11-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Is it only me or is everyone else about sick of this lameass thread that has been started on every boating site known to man -- I even saw it on a Blowboat Site.:26:

Offshore Ginger
11-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Is it only me or is everyone else about sick of this lameass thread that has been started on every boating site known to man -- I even saw it on a Blowboat Site.:26::sifone::):26::26::biggrinjester::rofl:

Spazboz
11-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Awesome project Todd. I live in Holland and have one of the origonal 185's. 1986 #7, layed-up in April 85'. Cool project, keep us updated.

Traviss
11-24-2008, 10:07 PM
ohh my god.....been waiting for pics and progress and nothing...... :03::03: hell I would come over and do all:sifone::26::26: the work if you spoiled me with wild stripper milfs while I was over there :26:

baronmarine
11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
ohh my god.....been waiting for pics and progress and nothing...... :03::03: hell I would come over and do all:sifone::26::26: the work if you spoiled me with wild stripper milfs while I was over there :26:
hey traviss

been i little slow on any progress. been working on some other projects. wiring the barn for more light. getting the sleds ready. yard work. but with a 4 day weekend coming i hope to pop the deck off and update the pics.
todd

tommymonza
11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Lamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamellamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamela melamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamelamel ame

baronmarine
02-09-2009, 11:03 PM
well after what seems to be the longest & coldest winter, or i'm just getting older. we got a little break. so i got down to the shop last night and did a little more work to the baron. btw that is my little 13 year old helper amanda.
todd

baronmarine
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
and a couple more. getting things moved around. hope to get the hull cleaned out and the carpet out tomorrow. or it will have to wait until sunday.
todd

Sunsation96
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Looks great keep the pictures coming.

Davidmnc
02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Looks like fun GO GO GO GO 17778

baronmarine
03-16-2009, 09:43 PM
well it's been way to long. but with sheri out of town i made a little more head way tonite. i got the rest of the engine compartment and cockpit floors and foam out. looks like the tank is next. anyone need any 10 year old gas??
todd

old377guy
03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
great to see you making progress - its uphill from here

baronmarine
03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
back to it. got down to the shop sunday night and made a little more progress. got the tank out. front floor. and the rest of the foam. man i have 6 boxies of that junk and that was the third time i took foam out. and did get it cleaned out also. down to the hull and stringers. won't be able to work on it again until sunday.
todd

baronmarine
07-16-2009, 09:14 AM
well its been a while. but with sheri and the kids gone to chicago. i got down to the shop last night, and spend about a hour grinding. man i'm still itching. got the bow area done in front of the bulkhead. where the floor was glassed in, and the carpet glue cleaned up. hope to get back at it tonite. i also have a new interior lined up. i sold my mastercraft to a guy that works in a furniture plant. and does upholstery work on side. his picture look real good. so part of the sale he is going to redo my interior.

todd

tommymonza
07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Whats the game plan there Todd . Are you going to Sawzall out all of the stringers and replace them. Ohh and a big fan right at your back and a tyveck suit with a lot of baby powder will make that job less miserable. But so will a good Mexican too:sifone:

baronmarine
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Whats the game plan there Todd . Are you going to Sawzall out all of the stringers and replace them. Ohh and a big fan right at your back and a tyveck suit with a lot of baby powder will make that job less miserable. But so will a good Mexican too:sifone:

hi tommy

yep the stringers are coming out along with the transom. i left the window of my hot rod open and didn't know it until i was turning the lights off. so i have to start tonite with blowing that out. that red paint is a nice shape of dust are now.

todd

J-Bonz
07-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Lookin good Todd! I am still working on mine also................ :)
Jr.

baronmarine
07-17-2009, 07:34 AM
hi jay. thanks, kind of lost interest for awhlie, and lots of things going on, seems like i'm never home. well i got a 2nd nite in last nite. finshed the hull to floor and a deck bulkhead. also got the glue from the freeboard last nite on the starboard side. must be a 5 gal pile of dust in the hull right now. hope to get back at it sunday nite. i'll take some pics at that time.

todd

baronmarine
09-17-2009, 09:57 PM
1 month later and it's back to work. not making a lot of head way but working when i get a chance. tuseday night i cut the stringers and transom out. i'm itching just looking at the pictures. look close and you can see i have the floor to hull glass ground away. i'm getting there. i sure would like to get it done while my kids are still home. but it is hard to find the time.

todd

old377guy
09-18-2009, 01:11 PM
way to go, keep the pix coming!

baronmarine
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
made some head way the last couple of weeks. i have ground the glass around the front and fuel tank bulkheads. stringers on the starboard side are grounded clean also. i left 5 tabs of glass from the stringers about 2" long to line the new stringers up. also ground the glass around the transom, along the bottom and freeboard. i'm getting there. at least it looks like i have something done. 2 more good nights and i can start cutting wood.

todd

Offshore Ginger
12-15-2009, 09:44 PM
So , the question is skip the Barron and finish up the Cig , or have the PRO'S COME AND FINISH HER UP ? Todd ................ Im looking for a small building here in Holland at the moment and .................... i will let your mind to the thinking ha ha ha and i sure like TOMMY'S post #21 .................Artie:seeya:

baronmarine
12-15-2009, 10:11 PM
So , the question is skip the Barron and finish up the Cig , or have the PRO'S COME AND FINISH HER UP ? Todd ................ Im looking for a small building here in Holland at the moment and .................... i will let your mind to the thinking ha ha ha and i sure like TOMMY'S post #21 .................Artie:seeya:

artie

the cig is top priority, making head way on that also. have all the bolt holes filled. and working on filling the drive holes. it is all laid out for drive height.
and on that pro thing, when i get all the wood cut for the baron. i was thinking you maybe glassing it up for me. i just have to many things going right now.
btw that tommy is a real piece of work. lol. just kinding he is a blast.

todd

Offshore Ginger
12-15-2009, 10:22 PM
artie

the cig is top priority, making head way on that also. have all the bolt holes filled. and working on filling the drive holes. it is all laid out for drive height.
and on that pro thing, when i get all the wood cut for the baron. i was thinking you maybe glassing it up for me. i just have to many things going right now.

toddTodd , take your time and when your ready so be it , spring or when ever you feel the need ................. Artie

old377guy
12-16-2009, 12:42 PM
It's great to see progress; I'm wondering if the average guy really knows just how much work this kind of project is - good job, keep up the pix - Jeff

tommymonza
12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
artie

todd

Hey i resemble that remark:sifone:

RichL
12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
also ground the glass around the transom, along the bottom and freeboard. i'm getting there. at least it looks like i have something done. 2 more good nights and i can start cutting wood.

todd

Two more good nights of grinding glass? I didn't think there was such a thing.:eek:

Seriously, it's lookin' good. Keep up the good work and pics.

baronmarine
02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
well got all the grinding done, thank god. finished super bowl sunday just before the game. time to get some plywood and play carpenter. here is a couple of pics.

todd

Offshore Ginger
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
well got all the grinding done, thank god. finished super bowl sunday just before the game. time to get some plywood and play carpenter. here is a couple of pics.

todd Todd , L@@KIN G@@D and i can almost bet you are getting tired of grinding.................

baronmarine
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
and a couple more. i ground all the glass from around stringers and transom down to the original lay up. if you look real close you can see where i left some unground fiberglass for a tab, about every 2 - 2 1/2'. for a bench mark to line up the new stringers.

todd

baronmarine
02-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Todd , L@@KIN G@@D and i can almost bet you are getting tired of grinding.................
artie that is a under statement. can't wait to get started on the wood.

todd

Offshore Ginger
02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
artie that is a under statement. can't wait to get started on the wood.

todd:bump::rofl::rofl: i bet . Todd , are you thinking of having it ready for summer orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and what does Sheri think about the whole deal ?

baronmarine
02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
:bump::rofl::rofl: i bet . Todd , are you thinking of having it ready for summer orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and what does Sheri think about the whole deal ?

artie i would love to get it done by summer. but 2 boat projects, work on the cottage and my hot rod. oh and don't forget sheri and the kids.
one of the kids just started crew at school. when i heard $2200 for a set of oaks, i was thinking props, seems like more bang for the buck.
so a short story long. cottage / cig 1st. hot rod 2nd and baron 3rd. but at least i'm making head way. by next summer for sure and maybe still this year.

todd

old377guy
02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
its great to see your recent pix, was wondering how the project was going.

baronmarine
04-16-2010, 07:26 PM
update time from the slowski's. slow but sure. i have the transom broads cut out. just thinking on my next step to install them. also the interior is at the upholstery shop. kind of jumped the gun on that one. but i sold my mastercraft to the guy and that was part of the deal. cut some new side panels to make them longer for a better fit. there is a swatch laying on there almost the same color, a little lighter. he wanted to go new and total custom but i went old school. i'm thinking on changing to a left hand steer and put a console in the middle ??

todd

old377guy
04-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Great to see an update, I like the old school treatments the best. Keep up the good work.

Offshore Ginger
04-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Todd , so.............................. when are you going to drop the boat off ?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::biggrinjester:

baronmarine
02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
project baron is reopened. got back at it a while ago. i have the transom glassed in now.

todd

baronmarine
02-14-2011, 09:07 AM
here is a pic from last week. got one of the stringers cleaned up for a pattern.

todd

baronmarine
02-14-2011, 09:11 AM
here is a few more pics from yesterday. i got the 1st run of stringers cut, front bulkhead and front floor. going to be a little warmer this week so plan on spenting some more time in the shop this week. my goal is to have all the wood cut by the end of the month.

todd

old377guy
02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Great to see things moving forward; please keep the pix coming. I need to see other people's forward momentum to keep up mine!

Offshore Ginger
02-14-2011, 09:02 PM
project baron is reopened. got back at it a while ago. i have the transom glassed in now.

todd Todd,do you think the ole girl will be ready for summer.....:huh:

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Its nice to see I am not the only one who has ground nearly every inch of their hull.

Gotta love it..

Offshore Ginger
02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Its nice to see I am not the only one who has ground nearly every inch of their hull.

Gotta love it..

Jim whats up .......you ole TeXas dawg ?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

J-Bonz
02-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Looking good Todd!

Ratickle
02-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Todd , so.............................. when are you going to drop the boat off ?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::biggrinjester:

Guess he hasn't got sick of it just yet.....

baronmarine
02-17-2011, 08:42 AM
i have moved up goal of all the wood cut, to next friday night. i think i'm on track. i got the 2nd bulkhead behind the fuel tank done. also the 2 stringer on the port side is done. got all the glass tabs i left in the boat for lineup ground out. the 2nd starboard stringer is on the bench and ready for lay out. i'll snap some more pics over the weekend and get them up.

todd

Ratickle
02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
i have moved up goal of all the wood cut, to next friday night. i think i'm on track. i got the 2nd bulkhead behind the fuel tank done. also the 2 stringer on the port side is done. got all the glass tabs i left in the boat for lineup ground out. the 2nd starboard stringer is on the bench and ready for lay out. i'll snap some more pics over the weekend and get them up.

todd

Sweet

Ben's putting the new engine in the Marlin now. Dyno'd fairly well for an injected mild 502.

baronmarine
02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Sweet

Ben's putting the new engine in the Marlin now. Dyno'd fairly well for an injected mild 502.
thats great paul, and i'm sure it's mild. lol. i have not been there in a month or so. sheri said every time i leave there i have another idea that cost to much. hope to see ya soon.

todd

Offshore Ginger
02-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Guess he hasn't got sick of it just yet.....Paul , i guess so ,and to tell you the truth it is good he has decided to tackle the project himself .

baronmarine
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
update time, we are ready for more glass. finished all the wood, well most of it last night. here is a few pic's of the bilge. the boat never had bulkheads on the out side of the stringers before. were the card board cut outs are will be 2 more bulkheads when i get the motor mounts lined up.

baronmarine
02-28-2011, 10:58 PM
here is a couple of pics of the front stringers that will be under the front floor. they only went to the front bulkhead before, but now they will be full length. the 2x4's are only holding every thing in place.

baronmarine
02-28-2011, 11:04 PM
here is the last 2 pic's of the wood cut and sitting in place. in the front above the front bulkhead i add 2 small bulkheads from the floor to the chine and freeboard, also added a bulkhead to the very front of the bow. this should stiffen things up. it took me almost 3 hours to get it out of my shop tonight. going to bring it to a friends shop wednesday. he has much better heat then mine, and start on the glassing.

todd

600sci
03-01-2011, 01:09 AM
update time, we are ready for more glass. finished all the wood, well most of it last night. here is a few pic's of the bilge. the boat never had bulkheads on the out side of the stringers before. were the card board cut outs are will be 2 more bulkheads when i get the motor mounts lined up.

That engine mount looks deep, don't you think the X dimension should be way higher? Or is this just to get the stringers spaced correct?

baronmarine
03-01-2011, 08:14 AM
That engine mount looks deep, don't you think the X dimension should be way higher? Or is this just to get the stringers spaced correct?
the trans mount is almost on the bottom right now, more for the width of the stringers. also i'm using a arneson asd 6 surface drive. so the whole package sets pretty low, not much higher then it is in the pic's. i did make the stringers in the bilge area 2" taller so if i go back to a merc style drive package i can move it up.

todd

old377guy
03-01-2011, 01:05 PM
It's great to see the progress Todd; gonna be a tank! - Jeff

baronmarine
03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
It's great to see the progress Todd; gonna be a tank! - Jeff
you are not kidding jeff. i think it may out last me now.

todd

Offshore Ginger
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Todd if you would have brought the boat to me last summer like we talked about you would be rigging it right now , and getting ready for a sea trial in the spring /summer

baronmarine
03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Todd if you would have brought the boat to me last summer like we talked about you would be rigging it right now , and getting ready for a sea trial in the spring /summer
i know art, but last year was not a great year for us. but hey we made it. biz is picking up huge right now. i would love to be rigging not glassing this late in the year. if it hits the water this year that would be great. but i have made a lot of head way the last few weeks. if i don't hit the water this year, it will have a new paint job to show off next year. i just keep moving on. hope to see ya soon.

todd

Offshore Ginger
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
i know art, but last year was not a great year for us. but hey we made it. biz is picking up huge right now. i would love to be rigging not glassing this late in the year. if it hits the water this year that would be great. but i have made a lot of head way the last few weeks. if i don't hit the water this year, it will have a new paint job to show off next year. i just keep moving on. hope to see ya soon.

todd Todd , its all good and glad to hear things are picking up for you . Todd, i just had three medical procedurers done along with a four day stay in the hospital last week which i really needed to have done before spring considering i have been keeping busy myself along with sue getting a new job back in her field (Respiratory Therapist )which helps tremendously because things are running a whole lot smoother if you know what i mean . Todd how is Sherrie and the Kids and did you go to Irons much this winter ?

Traviss
03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
did noah take this long building the ark? :eek::_boobies::boobflash::rofl:

tell me your gonna put in sum insane power in this thing... please!!!

600ci.....15:1... ohhh smell the torco LOL!

baronmarine
03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
did noah take this long building the ark? :eek::_boobies::boobflash::rofl:

tell me your gonna put in sum insane power in this thing... please!!!

600ci.....15:1... ohhh smell the torco LOL!
hey my bald brother, if noah had power tools we would have been done with this project 2 years ago. lol. no big power yet, still the old 470 horse 383ci. runs pretty good with that motor. the twins will be 16 on april fools (how fitting). and they want cars, the cig is crying for more hp. my chevelle needs some love and i will stop there, the list is endless. hope to see ya soon travis, grand haven this summer ??.

todd

Traviss
03-03-2011, 09:58 PM
hey my bald brother, if noah had power tools we would have been done with this project 2 years ago. lol. no big power yet, still the old 470 horse 383ci. runs pretty good with that motor. the twins will be 16 on april fools (how fitting). and they want cars, the cig is crying for more hp. my chevelle needs some love and i will stop there, the list is endless. hope to see ya soon travis, grand haven this summer ??.

todd

Yeah i know how the list goes.. moved into to a new house before christmas, so my list is 20yrs long lol. Only time i might.be over there.is.for hardy party...

Ummm did you say twins? :)

baronmarine
07-14-2011, 07:40 AM
update time. been plugging along. here is some pics of the front stringers.

todd

baronmarine
07-14-2011, 07:45 AM
here is a few more of the front bulkhead, and the 6 bulkheads added to the stingers. also 2 more from the front floor to the chine/freebroad. should be pretty stiff when finished.

old377guy
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Great to see the update; love to see this kind of stuff.

Bobcat
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
:iagree:

Ratickle
07-15-2011, 04:38 AM
here is a few more of the front bulkhead, and the 6 bulkheads added to the stingers. also 2 more from the front floor to the chine/freebroad. should be pretty stiff when finished.

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

J-Bonz
07-16-2011, 01:37 AM
Looking good Todd!!

baronmarine
11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
baron marine is reopen for business. spend a little time over the last couple of weeks working on the old resin bucket. here is some pics of the progress. first couple are a couple more bulkheads on the out side of the stringers. these are for better support where the floors meet up.

baronmarine
11-20-2011, 11:04 PM
7206172062and a couple more of some of the floor cut and in place.

baronmarine
11-20-2011, 11:10 PM
here is the fuel tank sitting in place. and the center floor panel.

baronmarine
11-20-2011, 11:15 PM
and the last couple of the engine compartment floor panels. the bow area, and cockpit side floors are foamed now. also the fuel tank is now foamed in. i will get more pics some.

todd

rschap1
11-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Looking good!

old377guy
11-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Looking like a tank! Way to go.

Ratickle
11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Looking like a tank! Way to go.

UhOh, Tanks don't float very well.....

About time you got something done Todd.......:)

old377guy
11-22-2011, 01:59 PM
smart A$$

baronmarine
02-02-2012, 09:54 PM
well it has been a while, here is some pic's of the progress. all the glass work has done by thanksgiving.
i well get some more pic's up some time soon. time to run mrs baron is in the hot tub.
todd

baronmarine
02-02-2012, 10:20 PM
well so much for the hot tub, dog gone kids.back to the baron. here are some pic's of the deck going back on. these pic's are from the first week of jan.

todd

baronmarine
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
i well try a another. this is a real pain getting these pic's ,they are in my email from my little one nicole. here is the deck sitting on the hull. i'm having a little trouble getting the bow over the hull as of now. a little work and i well get it. also look real close, those are new tires on the trailer. the old one's must have been 20+ years old. they would go flat in about 2 day's.

todd

baronmarine
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
this is the last 3 i have, the new interior just sitting in the boat. i'm sad to say i stopped working on it again, i've been putting a ceiling, new lights and insulation in the shop. plain to be back on it soon, get the deck screwed together, then glass the last bulkhead around the seat in and a small gel repair to the deck.

todd

Offshore Ginger
02-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Todd , to not fully encapsulate everything ( wood ) is a total joke on your end considering you have all the knowledge right at you fingertips ...............

baronmarine
02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
:):rolleyes:
hi my brother from another mother, how is it going artie?

todd

Offshore Ginger
02-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Very ...........Well ........and you ............................

baronmarine
02-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Todd , to not fully encapsulate everything ( wood ) is a total joke on your end considering you have all the knowledge right at you fingertips ...............

all marine baby !! the way this boat was built in 78, and what it has gone thru. i would say as of now it will go a lot longer then you and i. back to the fun stuff artie, how about some cocktails ??

todd

baronmarine
02-03-2012, 12:01 AM
btw artie your buying. lol.

todd

Offshore Ginger
02-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Todd :cheers2: :cheers2: :): :seeya:

Ratickle
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Maybe we should have a West Michigan offshore get together?

Offshore Ginger
02-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Paul thanks for offering your house ..................................:rofl::rofl::rofl::hurray:

Ratickle
02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Paul thanks for offering your house ..................................:rofl::rofl::rofl::hurray:

I figured you could go out and work on the boats while we drink and shoot the schit.....:)

We should do something over here though. Too many avid offshore boaters to not get together once in awhile.....

baronmarine
11-24-2012, 07:42 PM
wow i did not know it has been that long since i posted anything on the progress. well maybe a mouth and a half ago i did get the deck finally on and screwed down. started with the hole saw a couple of weeks ago. then today i got out to finish the mock up on the transum. here a pic if i can get it off my phone. hope to get going on the engine install soon.

todd

Offshore Ginger
11-24-2012, 07:54 PM
I figured you could go out and work on the boats while we drink and shoot the schit.....:)

We should do something over here though. Too many avid offshore boaters to not get together once in awhile..... You Dawg , and to think i missed this post because i am on the muscle tonite ........wanting to kick some serious a$$ .....................

Offshore Ginger
11-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Todd , just to let you know..............in the near future ....i will kick your a$$ with a boat 1 foot longer then a Barron , or could you stand to get your a$$ kicked by an old Sea ray .............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

baronmarine
11-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Todd , just to let you know..............in the near future ....i will kick your a$$ with a boat 1 foot longer .

cool artie, can't wait. oh wait let me finish my drink first. lol hope all is well.

todd

Offshore Ginger
11-24-2012, 08:21 PM
cool artie, can't wait. oh wait let me finish my drink first. lol hope all is well.

todd Todd , just poured Gas all over my body and walked away hoseing the flames away , lol , and like you mentioned i also hope all is well .

Offshore Ginger
11-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Todd , just curious what size surface drive are you running on the back of that bird . ....................

old377guy
11-24-2012, 08:37 PM
nice to see what's going on with the project - it helps my motivation

Offshore Ginger
11-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Todd ,are you going to be sledding this year in and around Na Ta Ka , and just curious do remember that lake by that Bar ...........

Offshore Ginger
11-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Old 377 , you truely are one person on this site , if need be .................. that can feel free to pick my brain .

baronmarine
11-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Todd , just curious what size surface drive are you running on the back of that bird . ....................

art: it is a ads6. it is off from the very first saber.

todd

baronmarine
11-24-2012, 10:55 PM
nice to see what's going on with the project - it helps my motivation

3 & a pair of 7's hope to keep a pace the next week or so. i have some other projects in the works, so i really need to get the motor lined up asap. hope i can pull it off, if mrs baron will let me. cost me $50 today, i had to give to her moter to take her to the casino.lol. she is still not home, maybe i should have worked later.

todd

baronmarine
11-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Todd ,are you going to be sledding this year in and around Na Ta Ka , and just curious do remember that lake by that Bar ...........

art what is in the wine glass tonite?? lol. sleds are ready but i'm not. it is bass lake. i has going to sell the kids sleds this year but they got a little mad about that, so one more year with a shop full of sleds. how about you?? whatz you riding this year? i have a smoking hot skidoo 800 renedade factory cross country race sled never raced. getty up.

todd

Offshore Ginger
11-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Todd , sold my golf cart last week and the snowmobile trailer Fri , and thinking of getting a Can Am Commander 1000 or a Polaris RZR and blow off sleding all together making one or the other Street legal seeing that i can use the side by side most of the year around the house , up north in the spring , summer and fall , etc , etc , if you know what i mean .

old377guy
11-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks Artie, I do have an upcoming project that will involve some fiberglass advice - I appreciate the offer.

Ratickle
12-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Todd , sold my golf cart last week and the snowmobile trailer Fri , and thinking of getting a Can Am Commander 1000 or a Polaris RZR and blow off sleding all together making one or the other Street legal seeing that i can use the side by side most of the year around the house , up north in the spring , summer and fall , etc , etc , if you know what i mean .

You see Hellbent's thread on the ATV?

SteveDavid
12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Two weeks ago there was a blue 28' Baron in Fort Lauderxdale on a trailer across from Lewis Marine Supply. Impeccable condition, with twin Volvo counter rotating prop outdrives? To this day, the 28's are timeless , thanks for keeping the history alive.

Hellbent
12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Paul...this must be the ONLY thread I didn't look for it in....lol.

Offshore Ginger
12-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Two weeks ago there was a blue 28' Baron in Fort Lauderxdale on a trailer across from Lewis Marine Supply. Impeccable condition, with twin Volvo counter rotating prop outdrives? To this day, the 28's are timeless , thanks for keeping the history alive.

Steve ,actually they are two different boats made by two different Co's the 28 being made by Bert and the Baron that Todd , owns being built by Powerplay (org XLT 185 ) which ended being changed to PowerQuest Boats down the road .

Offshore Ginger
12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks Artie, I do have an upcoming project that will involve some fiberglass advice - I appreciate the offer. You are welcome !

Offshore Ginger
12-01-2012, 11:43 AM
You see Hellbent's thread on the ATV? No i have not but ...............i will have to check it out

SteveDavid
12-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Thank you for the clarification. I've enjoyed following this thread and the obvious passion this guy has in restoring his boat.

Steve ,actually they are two different boats made by two different Co's the 28 being made by Bert and the Baron that Todd , owns being built by Powerplay (org XLT 185 ) which ended being changed to PowerQuest Boats down the road .

baronmarine
12-05-2012, 02:06 PM

hey art

you are close, the barons were built by dave deiphouse before he sold the molds to powerplay to start them up with the xlt. they made some changes to the deck on the xlt's also. i did get the drive line bolted up on sunday. it took me longer to find parts and bolts then to get it together. i tryed to post a pic, but i'm having a hard time posting pics from my phone.

todd

Offshore Ginger
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
We need pics .....LOL.........thank you. Todd , i can almost bet it is killing you at the moment no snow and a hot new 800 .

baronmarine
12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
ok i got it, to large of pic. here is the drive line almost set. i need to do a little work to the front mount to get it to fit. the next pics should be hanging in the boat. hope by the end of the weekend at the latest. only night i have is tomorrow and then again on sunday to work on it.

todd

Ratickle
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
hey art

you are close, the barons were built by dave deiphouse before he sold the molds to powerplay to start them up with the xlt. they made some changes to the deck on the xlt's also. i did get the drive line bolted up on sunday. it took me longer to find parts and bolts then to get it together. i tryed to post a pic, but i'm having a hard time posting pics from my phone.

todd

So your Baron is not a PowerPlay? Were there two different BAron Boat Company's?

baronmarine
12-06-2012, 11:11 PM
So your Baron is not a PowerPlay? Were there two different BAron Boat Company's?

hey paul

two different company's, the baron has designed and plugged in dave diephouse's parent's garage in cascade. then built on breton and 32nd in a old chicken coop as a baron. only built about 14 of them. i think mine is around #13. i have had mine since 1985, i got it from dave's brother tom (tommymonza). dave sold the molds to camp's and i forget his partners name. they started powerplay with that mold, after making some changes to the hull and deck. stop by some time and take a look at it.

todd

Offshore Ginger
12-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Todd , Camps partner was Kevin Hirdes , and you forgot to mention the law suit involving the name PowerPlay considering there were two Co's both using the same name thus one keeping the name PowerPlay and the other becoming PowerQuest . Funny thing i remember going to the plant ( Power Play / PowerQuest ) here in Holland When i was still employed at Thompson Boat Co on the other side of the State seeing nothing put xlt 185's on the floor .

old377guy
12-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Todd , Camps partner was Kevin Hirdes , and you forgot to mention the law suit involving the name PowerPlay considering there were two Co's both using the same name thus one keeping the name PowerPlay and the other becoming PowerQuest . Funny thing i remember going to the plant ( Power Play / PowerQuest ) here in Holland When i was still employed at Thompson Boat Co on the other side of the State seeing nothing put xlt 185's on the floor .

I didn't know you were an old Thompson guy Artie, my dad had a Thompson lapstrake boat back in the late '50s . Had a Evinrude V-4 Starflite 75, with an Evinrude 18hp "kicker" - how about that.

Offshore Ginger
12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Todd , i see it is trying to snow let it snow ,let it snow , let it snowwwwwwwwwwwww ! :hurray: Old 377 , when i worked at Thompson Boat i was a very young man many , many, moons , ago when they were building fiberglass boats at the time , and my Grand Father also owned a yellow labstrake ( wood ) Thompson which at the time was a very nice boat , and my Father owning a Penn Yan .

Bobcat
12-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Artie, we would love to see some pics of those days !

SteveDavid
12-10-2012, 04:23 AM
There was actually another Baron boat company, they were a west coast builder that built a successful line of flatbottomns for the SK, SS, PS and K class among others. Competitors at the time included Lavey, Rayson, Stevens, Profile, Mandella, Nordic & Howard.
I knew what they looked like from behind because they consistently out ran me when I was driving an aging Howard hull, SS-145 "Baby Huey" for Huey Newport in 1969-70. Come to think of it I remember what they looked like from the side too, as they lapped me............................character building I think my Dad called it :)

Ratickle
12-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I thought I was the only one up at 3 AM.....

Character building, I like that. Guess it worked (Even though you sold a Black Thunder and got a Sea Ray.......)

When do you leave for Qatar?

SteveDavid
12-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Hey Rat, :)
Qatar is on the 10,11 and 12 and then again in February. My flight leaves D.C at 10 PM and arrives in Doha the next day about 5PM. I usually leave on a Monday, arrive there Tuesday, chill Wednesday and start racing Thursday. Final heats are Friday and Saturday.
And yes indeed going from a pretty quick Black Thunder to a 35 knot Sea Ray did take some adjustment :)))))) Take care buddy.

I thought I was the only one up at 3 AM.....

Character building, I like that. Guess it worked (Even though you sold a Black Thunder and got a Sea Ray.......)

When do you leave for Qatar?

Ratickle
12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Coming home between the two races I assume????

SteveDavid
12-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Yep, wife's orders :)

Coming home between the two races I assume????

Ratickle
12-15-2012, 08:06 AM
I COMPLETELY understand!:sifone:

baronmarine
12-17-2012, 10:26 PM
75020here is a shot of the motor lined up, i wanted to get it mounted but i had a hard time finding alum angle for the mounts, so i guess it well wait until spring.

todd

baronmarine
12-17-2012, 10:33 PM
here is one more of the access holes cut for the new motor mount in the front. wish i would have waited to put the floor in.

todd

baronmarine
12-17-2012, 10:38 PM
and the last one from from saturday off to the glass shop for the last time, yea baby the end is near.

todd

Ratickle
12-18-2012, 07:27 PM
What kind of aluminum angle you looking for? (Boat is sure looking good....)

baronmarine
12-18-2012, 09:41 PM
hey paul. 4' of 3/8 x2"x2". i could go a little larger, could not find any on a short notice. i will find some over the winter and get it going in the spring. time to get going on the cig. which i sent 5 hours sunday taking apart.

todd

todd

Ratickle
12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
What's your plan on the Cig????

Go faster than Dan?????:sifone:

baronmarine
12-19-2012, 10:11 PM
What's your plan on the Cig????

Go faster than Dan?????:sifone:

way to much, motors are out, a few bulkheads in the cabin, regel the bilge, borrow your props again, and the list goes on. and on that beat dan thing, well maybe down the highway. lol. or in the dux's.

todd

Ratickle
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Do I need to get them labbed first????:sifone:

Offshore Ginger
12-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Todd , i sent you an E -Mail from SpeedWake , asking who purchased your old tabs off the Cig , and there is a reason behind this question .

baronmarine
12-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Todd , i sent you an E -Mail from SpeedWake , asking who purchased your old tabs off the Cig , and there is a reason behind this question .

hey art: i think i saw something in there from speed. i will take a look and reply. but you will need to tell me why?

todd

Offshore Ginger
12-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Todd that person if memory serves me right raised is X dimension on is 185 - XLT rather X- Treme, and when we talked over the phone i am thinking it was over 6 inches or more thus the reason , and if i could remember his screen name i would personally shoot him a P M . Thanks artie

Ratickle
12-23-2012, 01:29 PM
6 inches above the running surface?:eek: