PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Michelob Light Scarab?

stillsmoking
09-16-2009, 09:08 PM
A few years ago the Michelob light Scarab was for sale on one the websites. Whatever happened to the boat? I remember it had a pretty good start to being back on the water.

cosmic12
09-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I believe you are refering to RatMan, he sold it and moved south, way south.
Think the boat went north maybe MI or Il not sure.

stillsmoking
09-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes that was it. I thought at the time that boat was awesome. I remember the fuel tanks painted like old Michelob Light cans.

Dude! Sweet!
09-16-2009, 09:44 PM
http://www.superboat.com/teams.cfm?action=detail&teamID=196

Enjoy.

(You'll notice it says the boat is a Cig because they ran Daddy Cool the prior year, the picture is Mich Light).

stillsmoking
09-16-2009, 09:58 PM
I figured that someone would have finished it back to a more modern version of the original.

h2oMag
09-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Here is one more pic of this cool L S Scarab..:drool5:

Dude! Sweet!
09-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Herbst's old Mr. Terrible is a very similar boat as well right?

09-17-2009, 01:13 AM
How about this beauty! :) Sorry to hijack.

MikeyFIN
09-17-2009, 04:51 AM
I figured that someone would have finished it back to a more modern version of the original.

whats the new version of Michelob Light then ?

stillsmoking
09-17-2009, 08:03 AM
whats the new version of Michelob Light then ?

I thought someone would have repowered and painted back to the way it was back in the day. I remember the previous owner having a pretty good start.

cigdaze
09-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I believe you are refering to RatMan, he sold it and moved south, way south.
Think the boat went north maybe MI or Il not sure.

If we're talking about the same one, Phil Ratcliff, aka Ratman, bought it a few years ago, maybe 2005 or 2006 I can't remember, and he was working on restoring it. He was pretty far along when personal matters interfered. He sold it to a fella somewhere locally I believe, and I have yet to see or hear anything about it since. I saw the boat at Phil's place back then, and it was in pretty fair shape, but certainly needed some attention. New motors were about to go in, glasswork was done to correct damages.
I'd like to see what's going on with it now.

cigdaze
09-17-2009, 08:24 AM
From 2006 at Phil's Place.

cigdaze
09-17-2009, 08:25 AM
http://www.superboat.com/teams.cfm?action=detail&teamID=196

Enjoy.

(You'll notice it says the boat is a Cig because they ran Daddy Cool the prior year, the picture is Mich Light).

Is that current? Is that the same one I'm thinking about?

cigdaze
09-17-2009, 08:27 AM
A couple more.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-17-2009, 08:49 AM
It could be. It sat in Brick New Jersey in late '90's. I remember all the gold anodized hardware in it. It was really cool with all the trick little pieces included.

stillsmoking
09-17-2009, 09:09 AM

I thought I remembered it further along on the outside when it was sold.

cigdaze
09-17-2009, 09:09 AM
It could be. It sat in Brick New Jersey in late '90's. I remember all the gold anodized hardware in it. It was really cool with all the trick little pieces included.

I believe that's correct. Phil bought it from an acquaintance of R'Addiction (John) who lived(s) up in that neck of the woods. Ike was his name I think.

cigdaze
09-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I thought I remembered it further along on the outside when it was sold.

Right. My pics are shortly after it arrived down here. He was almost to the point of dropping in motors when he got rid of it.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-17-2009, 09:21 AM
It was complete less drives and motors. It had all the cables, brackets and hook ups. It must have been '95 '96 when it sat on Mantaloking Rd.

Dude! Sweet!
09-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Odd Angle I guess, but I believe this is a sister boat.

Dude! Sweet!
09-17-2009, 11:48 AM
How about this beauty! :) Sorry to hijack.

That's a later LS Scarab right? Like these two.

northernoffshore
09-30-2009, 08:23 PM
when the new owners got the boat from ratman is was a rat. After the glass and paint and rerig job that was done at thunder marine and design, North Ft. Myers,Fl. , the boat is a super nice piece. The original tail pipes were made out of schedule 40 aluminum and weighed about 90lbs. a piece, along with other stuff it had that needed attention. the boat does 100mph or better now with modern equipment.

cigdaze
09-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice. Great to hear that. It's awesome to have a piece of history restored like that and running again.

DAREDEVIL
09-30-2009, 10:59 PM
HIGH 90's is more like it . But yes BOBBY did a great job ,,,like always.

jayboat
10-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Still crushin em...

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9756/sbi53087087.jpg

Magnum Mark
10-01-2009, 07:44 AM
high 90's is more like it . But yes bobby did a great job ,,,like always.

bobby "o" for the record...not "s"..

ratabastardahole
10-05-2009, 02:04 PM

nick, cool that u saved those pics. you are correct i sold it to a dude that finished it up, he put in a pair of 540s with blowers, bob a friend of the owner rigged it in sarasota i believe. he told me it would run just over 100 woth the new power but i thought it would go a LOT faster with big power as ti ran mid 90s with injected 482 tall decks when joey ipalito had it. the owner is looking to sell it for 95k turnkey

still chilling in costa rica for now, sold my plaec in tampa a few months ago, maybe moving to medellin colombia some time next year...oh the chickas are caliente aya amigo

cigdaze
10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Right on, Phil. Good to hear you're doing well and enjoying your chicas. Keep it up!
:cool:

ratabastardahole
10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
when the new owners got the boat from ratman is was a rat. After the glass and paint and rerig job that was done at thunder marine and design, North Ft. Myers,Fl. , the boat is a super nice piece. The original tail pipes were made out of schedule 40 aluminum and weighed about 90lbs. a piece, along with other stuff it had that needed attention. the boat does 100mph or better now with modern equipment.

it was hardly a rat dude...i primed and blocked that puppy for months. the hull was truer than when they made it, it was ready for paint and rigging. it had some poorly done repairs prior to me purchasing the boat. but was really solid after i repaired the few cracks in the l side. i talked to one of the guys that originally rigged the boat, they weighed the hull the day it arrived at the shOp...2200 lbs, when you walked in the deck it would sag under your weight...the deck was only 3 layers of kevlar! GLAD TO SEE IT WAS FINISHED

ratabastardahole
10-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Right on, Phil. Good to hear you're doing well and enjoying your chicas. Keep it up!
:cool:

how you been bro? life treating ya well? been chillin with my lil hottie gf in the mountains of costa lately. shes 19 and all t n a weighs in at 96lbs soakin wet...i got her nipples pierced for her birthday

cigdaze
10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
how you been bro? life treating ya well? been chillin with my lil hottie gf in the mountains of costa lately. shes 19 and all t n a weighs in at 96lbs soakin wet...i got her nipples pierced for her birthday

A few ups and downs, but doing great otherwise right now. I see you're having a good time as always. Don't forget about our bad boys section. :reddevil:
Good luck, and take care!

mikefili
10-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Carl Berry from the Boston area had it for a few years, or he had one of them, he repowered it with killer motors, I was out in the L.I. sound for a race with Carl that was held out of Maranack N.Y. It was so rough the race was cancelled at the start, I never thought the sound could get that rough, The boat was simply awesome, it did not even know there were waves out there, I never felt such a big V bottom with throttle response like that boat. Carl was a great guy who raced all through the 80's and owned a moving company named "Berry Moving and Storage", Wonder what happened to Carl, If anyone knows him ask him to chime in here, I would love to speak to him again. Lots of great guys from the boston area racing back then, Mike Alesie, Alan Swieman, (I know that I have murdered the spelling of their last 2 names).
Michael Filippone

ratabastardahole
10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
A few ups and downs, but doing great otherwise right now. I see you're having a good time as always. Don't forget about our bad boys section. :reddevil:
Good luck, and take care!

nick good to here youre doing well, take care of yourself. how do i get in the badboys section its private?

cigdaze
10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
nick good to here youre doing well, take care of yourself. how do i get in the badboys section its private?
Thanks a bunch. Will do, and you do the same!
Pony up and you're in. Click here. (http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/payments.php)

lucky strike
10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
There were two Michelob Light 38 Scarabs driven by Joey Ippolito.

I wonder where the other one is?

Magnum Mark
10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
carl berry from the boston area had it for a few years, or he had one of them, he repowered it with killer motors, i was out in the l.i. Sound for a race with carl that was held out of maranack n.y. It was so rough the race was cancelled at the start, i never thought the sound could get that rough, the boat was simply awesome, it did not even know there were waves out there, i never felt such a big v bottom with throttle response like that boat. Carl was a great guy who raced all through the 80's and owned a moving company named "berry moving and storage", wonder what happened to carl, if anyone knows him ask him to chime in here, i would love to speak to him again. Lots of great guys from the boston area racing back then, mike alesie, alan swieman, (i know that i have murdered the spelling of their last 2 names).
Michael filippone

R U from the neighborhood?

DAREDEVIL
10-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I know this was the #3 boat.

lucky strike
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The 1st one Ippolito built flipped in the St. Pete race under the sky way bridge in 1978.
They then built the second one for Ippolito because the 1st one was damaged.

The 3rd Mic Light scarab was Betty Cooks KAMMA.

I believe the one we are talking about is the 1st one.

MarylandMark
10-09-2009, 09:08 AM
i got her nipples pierced for her birthday

post pics you dirty rat bastard!

DAREDEVIL
10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
The 1st one Ippolito built flipped in the St. Pete race under the sky way bridge in 1978.
They then built the second one for Ippolito because the 1st one was damaged.

The 3rd Mic Light scarab was Betty Cooks KAMMA.

I believe the one we are talking about is the 1st one.

Sorry,,i ment the race # on the hull was 3 on this one.

DAREDEVIL
10-09-2009, 09:55 AM
post pics you dirty rat bastard!

+1:biggrinjester: