PDA

View Full Version : Crate Motors?

Sunsation96
09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey SOS where do you guy's and gal's buy your crate motors? or have I want to know who has the best prices and of course service is key. I heard ebay does have motors from time to time but having a issue finding was looking into the 383 small blocks thanks for the help:)

Raylar
09-17-2009, 01:32 AM
I would not reccommend putting straight crate engines in any performance boat without some real mods to camshafts, freeze plugs, fuel sytems and such. You may buy cheap, but you'll probably end up real cheap with savings of not having a running boat to boat in!
Put marine endurance high performance built engines in a performance boat. Motors are the electric ones.

Good Luck

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

PS: Advice- The Wise Man Don't Need it and the Fool Won't Heed it!!

Lakeside
09-17-2009, 09:02 AM
If you have something specific in mind feel free to call me. We sell & install Merc, Raylar & custom applications. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

Sunsation96
09-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up guy's my wording was wrong! I am new to the needing engine thing but I will give you a call and talk some numbers of what you can do! Thanks

10-18-2009, 12:05 PM
I've been looking recently and there are some "marine" crate motors available, are you guys suggesting that these are inadequate as well?
thanks

Griff
10-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Bam Marine
http://www.go-fast.com/mercury_mercruiser_Sterndrive_Engine_Prices.ASP

Uncle Dave
10-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Hey SOS where do you guy's and gal's buy your crate motors? or have I want to know who has the best prices and of course service is key. I heard ebay does have motors from time to time but having a issue finding was looking into the 383 small blocks thanks for the help:)

If you must go crate - spec your own cam and valvetrain vs what the crate guys provide. Some of the better known crate guys will build you a marine app bu they dont usually get your accessories mounted correctly, or even test with them.

Really though- I wouldn't recommend an automotive crate engine the auto guys typically overcam to get the HP#. The engines usually pull minimla vacum at idle - As someone else said this gets you reversion issues.

Talk to the reputable builders on this site, preferably one you can work with in person.

Give them your real budget and you'll get a combination that works and is tested.

UD

ren3
10-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I have two 454 BBC Mercruisers with all forged internals and GM aluminum dual plane intake manifold. Remanufactured with 0 hours. These are Gen IV motors. Bob Newman. Evergreen, Co. 720-297-1885. newmanre@yahoo.com