PDA

View Full Version : V8 engines

THUNDERBOLT
09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Hello from wet and windy England, may I ask a favour of you guys,
I am hoping to purchase 2 V8 Chevy 327 's rated at 240hp for the completion of TOMMY SOPWITH's THUNDERBOLT the winner of the first Cowes Torquay in 1961. does anyone know the reputation of this company?
Remanufactured.com Intro Bare Engine Blocks & Cylinder Head Cores Engine Diagnosis Engine FAQs Engine Installation YOUR Engine Remanufactured Core Deposit & Warranty Engine Swaps & Performance Upgrades Shipping
This remanufactured engine site has remanufactured engine swaps, performance engine upgrades
and general information at the links above. Remanufactured engine links below with pricing and identification for ordering car, inboard boat, truck, RV or motor home & will load more slowly. 1400 different remanufactured engines and we fill orders on 90% of them. Short block re-manufactured engines are usually 1/4 less with core deposits at 2/3 of a long block remanufactured engine.
Call for drop- in and turn key crate engines too.
Acura | AMC Jeep | BMW | Buick | Cadillac | Chevrolet 4 Cylinder | Chevrolet 6 Cylinder | Chevrolet Smallblock V8 | Chevrolet 6.5 Diesel Chevrolet Bigblock V8 | Chrysler Dodge Plymouth | Ford 4 Cylinder | Ford 6 Cylinder | Ford 8 Cylinder | Geo | Honda | Infinity | Isuzu | International / Navistar | Lexus | Mazda | Mitsubishi | Mercedes | Nissan | Oldsmobile | Pontiac | Suzuki | Toyota | Volvo

Inboard Marine Call 24 hours ~ 1-800-575-6998 RV& Motorhome
Remanufactured engine order takers & tech support evenings & weekends too

http://rebuilt.com/Inboard_Marine_Engines.htm

if anyone can help I would be much obliged..do not forget anyone who has a boat that participated in the CT that 2010 is the 50th anniversary and there will hopefully be quite a show of old racers in AUGUST.

regards

Mike

DAREDEVIL
09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
I am hoping to purchase 2 V8 Chevy 327 's rated at 240hp for the completion of TOMMY SOPWITH's THUNDERBOLT the winner of the first Cowes Torquay in 1961. does anyone know the reputation of this company?
Remanufactured.com Intro Bare Engine Blocks & Cylinder Head Cores Engine Diagnosis Engine FAQs Engine Installation YOUR Engine Remanufactured Core Deposit & Warranty Engine Swaps & Performance Upgrades Shipping
This remanufactured engine site has remanufactured engine swaps, performance engine upgrades
and general information at the links above. Remanufactured engine links below with pricing and identification for ordering car, inboard boat, truck, RV or motor home & will load more slowly. 1400 different remanufactured engines and we fill orders on 90% of them. Short block re-manufactured engines are usually 1/4 less with core deposits at 2/3 of a long block remanufactured engine.
Acura | AMC Jeep | BMW | Buick | Cadillac | Chevrolet 4 Cylinder | Chevrolet 6 Cylinder | Chevrolet Smallblock V8 | Chevrolet 6.5 Diesel Chevrolet Bigblock V8 | Chrysler Dodge Plymouth | Ford 4 Cylinder | Ford 6 Cylinder | Ford 8 Cylinder | Geo | Honda | Infinity | Isuzu | International / Navistar | Lexus | Mazda | Mitsubishi | Mercedes | Nissan | Oldsmobile | Pontiac | Suzuki | Toyota | Volvo

if anyone can help I would be much obliged..do not forget anyone who has a boat that participated in the CT that 2010 is the 50th anniversary and there will hopefully be quite a show of old racers in AUGUST.

regards

Mike

I never heard of them,,but my enginebuilder can build u 2 327's .

7xchamp
09-15-2009, 03:02 PM

regards

Mike

Hi Mike: As a three time winner of the CTC race, and a record holder with speed of 79.8 mph in Satisfaction Scarab. I would love to attend the 50th anniversary. To me winning CTC was like winning Daytona 500, LeMans, and Indianapolis 500 all in one. It`s a shame there were so few Americans who experienced such a race. Now to your situation: I personally would stay away from companies you listed. Best if you let us all know exactly what you are looking for, budget etc. we will find a pair of great motors for you, that will be marine built and have reliability, Mercruiser has a program that sells these motors as pacemakers, some were just used for display, others for comparison tests etc. Do mr. Sopwith right and put some dependable motors in the old girl and enjoy for many years, we are here to help I am sure, speaking for the Serious offshore family.

FastDonzi
09-15-2009, 04:28 PM
You can fit allot more than 327 Cubes in that same (Looking) Package, from the outside the Physical size/shape is the same. Inside you can have 430+ CI" each and for prices that won't break the Bank.

If 7Xchamp was to suggest a Motor Or Shop I'm sure it would be Very Credible, I Think He knows a Lil Smidge about Engines:)

phragle
09-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm guessing with the ci specified as well as the hp, this motor is supposed to closely resemble a previous one? that is a small motor, with limited hp, and should not be expensive or difficult to comeby. I do not now the co. you mention, but they seem to rebuild all kinds of motors in quantity, so theres probably a min. wage guy slapping them together with no real knowledge other than what he has been taught. I would go with one of the known builders and this combo will still be fairl inexpensive.

THUNDERBOLT
09-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I have emailed 7xchamp the details and will briefly outline requirements.
THUNDERBOLT is 50yrs old is a wooden boat and I believe the only surviving Ray Hunt designed winner. She was originally powered by 2 325hp Cadillac Crusaders. She does not need that power these days so hence 240 hp which will be ample especially with the price of gas over here!

To rejig her would be expensive so using 2 V8's takes up the original bearers and she was also designed to have one engine thro' Vdrive and one direct drive.
She has broken the bank and I have to get loan to buy engines hence my contact with that company re engines...I wrote to Crusader but they did not respond it is their loss the advertising potential for them was enormous!

but what the heck I have saved one of the oldest racers and it is bloody worth when Tommy Sopwith saw here he was lost for words..wait till she is on the water next year she will astound everyone.

On a serious note ANYONE who raced in the Cowes Torquay would be afforded the most incredible welcome should they come over for the celebrations. If anyone can come let me know asap. Hopefully Barry Cohen is bringing GHOST RIDER another of the surving craft of which there are so few.

Mike

Mike

Ratickle
09-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Had to go looking for Cad Crusaders to see what you were up against. They were all 331 cu in and looks like the most HP available before the company switched to the 409 Chevy was 325.......

Here's a pic of a couple restorers pulling one from a woodie......

THUNDERBOLT
09-16-2009, 07:19 AM
That is a real old one I have one of the originals but is beyond hope and not as bulky as that monster!
Mike

Ratickle
09-16-2009, 07:19 AM
I'll also get ahold of a couple of NASCAR friends and see if any know of any team who may be in the business of getting some recognition in England. Some of them had stacks of small block Chevy's in the old style that is no longer legal. A year ago that stuff was going really reasonable.

DO you know any of the teams who are sponsored by a business with an British or Irish division???? Dupont, Cat, etc. come to mind.

Bobcat
09-16-2009, 08:07 AM
That is a real old one I have one of the originals but is beyond hope and not as bulky as that monster!
Mike

if you have time we would love to see some pics of the hull and motors!:)

Brownie
09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Hey, Mike. Are they doing the 50th anniversary tie? I have the 25th, and treasure it.

THUNDERBOLT
09-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Everything is just starting , they are waiting for date approval before they can plan anything and we COPOC are trying to contact as many of the owners of the old racers as possible...there will hopefully be some good souvenirs and some good racing 3 marathon races are planned for the week leading up to the 50th CTC. I will check if a tie is on the agenda!

PS if anyone wants to see THUNDERBOLT go to www.classicoffshore.com click restorations.