PDA

View Full Version : A subtle reply...

redhotsommer
09-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Last year, those of us who were keeping our boats in Hammond were served with a lovely letter stating we had better pay up to the state for keeping our stuff in Indiana waters. I ended up shelling out $400 cuz I had to buy TWO years worth of stickers...no option. This played a major role in my decision not to return to Hammond. This weekend, I got another letter "requestiing" $280 for the "privilege" of keepin' my boat in Indiana...which I did not do. So, I submit to you my reply which I am sending in with my payment stub:

To Whomever It May Concern:

Regarding the enclosed bill of taxation, I consider it to be rather a privilege to be presented an opportunity to respond in kind.

Last year, I received this notice along with a letter threatening a potential 100% penalty should I fail to comply immediately. I paid, rather than face governmental retribution…and was promptly invited to pay AGAIN for the forthcoming year. It was explained to me that I could not purchase an “expired” sticker, and as the purchase of a 2008 sticker was impossible due to the timing of the notice, I had to purchase a 2009 sticker as well. Which I did. Only now, I had decided that I no longer wished to keep my boat in Indiana waters, precisely due to what I and MANY of my fellow boaters perceived to be an unfair tax.

I paid tax in the state of Illinois when I purchased my boat. I live in and pay taxes in the state of Illinois today. I fail to understand how it is that the state of Indiana may levy a tax on a purchase made in another state.

To that end, I will not be paying this tax again. Not this year or any year in the future. I did not renew my slippage at Hammond for this summer because of this tax (appr. $4000 I would have spent in your state), and have also chosen not to purchase fuel in your state (another appr. $4000 this summer…surely much of that would have gone to the government). I am aware of similar sentiments and reactions from many other boaters subjected to the same treatment…and the emptiness of Indiana’s marinas from Hammond to Michigan City are an excellent litmus test against the wisdom of taxation without cause or representation.

Regards,

Michael Sommer

t500hps
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
The idiot that gets that letter won't care until they loose their job because of budget cuts.......

but I like it!!

Boatfreak
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Got to love it.:smash:

Candyman
09-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Last year, those of us who were keeping our boats in Hammond were served with a lovely letter stating we had better pay up to the state for keeping our stuff in Indiana waters. I ended up shelling out $400 cuz I had to buy TWO years worth of stickers...no option. This played a major role in my decision not to return to Hammond. This weekend, I got another letter "requestiing" $280 for the "privilege" of keepin' my boat in Indiana...which I did not do. So, I submit to you my reply which I am sending in with my payment stub:

To Whomever It May Concern:

Regarding the enclosed bill of taxation, I consider it to be rather a privilege to be presented an opportunity to respond in kind.

Last year, I received this notice along with a letter threatening a potential 100% penalty should I fail to comply immediately. I paid, rather than face governmental retribution…and was promptly invited to pay AGAIN for the forthcoming year. It was explained to me that I could not purchase an “expired” sticker, and as the purchase of a 2008 sticker was impossible due to the timing of the notice, I had to purchase a 2009 sticker as well. Which I did. Only now, I had decided that I no longer wished to keep my boat in Indiana waters, precisely due to what I and MANY of my fellow boaters perceived to be an unfair tax.

I paid tax in the state of Illinois when I purchased my boat. I live in and pay taxes in the state of Illinois today. I fail to understand how it is that the state of Indiana may levy a tax on a purchase made in another state.

To that end, I will not be paying this tax again. Not this year or any year in the future. I did not renew my slippage at Hammond for this summer because of this tax (appr. $4000 I would have spent in your state), and have also chosen not to purchase fuel in your state (another appr. $4000 this summer…surely much of that would have gone to the government). I am aware of similar sentiments and reactions from many other boaters subjected to the same treatment…and the emptiness of Indiana’s marinas from Hammond to Michigan City are an excellent litmus test against the wisdom of taxation without cause or representation.

Regards,

Michael Sommer

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hope you sent a copy to Hammond :sifone:

OBNOXUS
09-15-2009, 07:14 AM
If only they cared !!!

Magic Medicine
09-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Nice letter Mike. This is the same reason I register my sled in Michigan. Its cheaper and no property tax, I have see the DNR on my few riding trips in Indiana, its by by buddy boy!

MILD THUNDER
09-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Good letter Mike. Not that living in Cook County/chicago is any better though. A pack of smokes down the street from the house is almost 9 bucks. Where as in indiana I can buy 2 packs at that price. Diesel 2.89 here, paid 2.49 today down in morocco indiana area. I can save 400 bucks a month just by filling the Rig down there daily.

I am also choosing NOT to do the Rack service next summer. At 400 bucks a month, for the 3 months i paid, basically cost me 240 bucks each time they put me in/out, (about 5 times this summer). Not worth it to me. Would rather put it in the fuel tank.....

Candyman
09-16-2009, 12:13 AM
We live in the State of Corruption the County of Crook :26:

Tony M
09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
We live in the State of Corruption the County of Crook :26:Feel The Love $$$$$$$$$ :puke:

Candyman
10-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Got my letter today! Need to come up with a good response:sifone:

redhotsommer
10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Xerox a copy of your middle finger...send it in.

Tony M
10-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Xerox a copy of your middle finger...send it in. You People Are So Hard, There Just Trying To Make A Few Bucks!!:sifone: :biggrinjester:

OBNOXUS
10-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Got my letter today! Need to come up with a good response:sifone:

How about:

Dear stupid azzholes,

you are aware I havent used my boat in 2 years arent you !!!???

respectfully ( get the pun )

Candyman

OBNOXUS
10-07-2009, 10:18 PM

I like that to !!!:26:

Magic Medicine
10-08-2009, 07:04 AM
How about:

Dear stupid azzholes,

Candyman

:rofl::rofl:

Candyman
10-08-2009, 06:32 PM

Would this work:26:

Candyman
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
How about:

Dear stupid azzholes,

Candyman

This could work also:biggrinjester:

Tony M
10-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Would this work:26: I Like It , But It's To Sweet Of A Mesage, Phuck Em Is More To The Point And Our Real Feelings :sifone: