PDA

View Full Version : Old school/new school mix, I need an opinion??

Buoy
09-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Alright, I've had this wild little idea going through my head for my 24, and I need to ask the brethren here for some opinions on this.

My boat is an '80. And I love the old-school of it. I absolutely love the tall life-line down the deck. This is the sort of thing I was looking for when I bought the boat (and I always wanted a 24 Pantera).

OK, so my wild idea:
I need to replace the rubrail. Existing is the big heavy extruded aluminum which I want to keep that look. Replace with the exact same thing (already found it at TACO).
Here's where I get crazy...
I'm thinking about glass capping the deck hull joint on the transom, and about 6 inches up the gunwale with NO rubrail on the transom (come on, who needs a rubrail on the transom??).
The original rubrail had some 4"x4" 90 degree transition pieces to go from the hullside to the transom, and I thought it looked a little bulky, and would like to change it to a bit of a smoother look.
I want to keep the boat old-school, but with some modern improvements.
I was talking with Sean about this the other night, but I wanted to get a few more opinions.
So, what are your thoughts guys??

Dude! Sweet!
09-12-2009, 11:35 PM
So does that mean I can't comment here? :D

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Tough call. I like old school too. I do think the clean transom would look cool. Maybe keep the corner pieces. I think having the corner protected is something to consider.

Buoy
09-13-2009, 02:15 AM
So does that mean I can't comment here? :D

Comment away. She used to be your girl. Should I buy her D cups. or Double D's??:sifone:

OK - enough nonsense...

Tough call. I like old school too. I do think the clean transom would look cool. Maybe keep the corner pieces. I think having the corner protected is something to consider.

Jim, what I was thinking was to have the rail extend to about ~3-4" of the transom, and then make a piece out of the rail to form kind of a "bullet" to extend to the corner of the transom. Just take the rail and make it taper down to a point. Fully protected to the corner of the transom, but transom totally exposed. I like the big curve on the Deck/Hull joint on the transom, and I think capping it might make it look a little sleeker, and yet accentuate that line a bit more at the same time.

I like this idea, but, I'm want opinions if you think it will detract from the old-school feel of the boat?!?!?!...
The life-line is staying, the interior is being updated - but not radical.
Gauges and controls are being updated.

I guess I'm trying to say... she's an older girl, and I don't want to put her on botox, just buy her a new dress so to speak. Am I going too far?

tomcei
09-13-2009, 02:56 PM
post a few pics of the areas your contemplating

Scarab KV
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Older women have a certain sex appeal. Dressing them up in the younger generations clothes takes away some of the appeal.
Just my .02

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
You are the one to make happy. I have been thinking the same thing on mine. I have decided to keep it as it was delivered. Teak, black dash and all. It has only had the gauges changed and I am going to change them back to the Stewart Warners it originally had. Maybe the deck hatch will get white instead of smoked plastic in it. Not sure yet.

Scarab KV
09-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Same here. Under all that White is a pretty cool paint scheme IMO of coarse

Buoy
09-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Damn.
Now I'm starting to think maybe I should quit f-in around, and paint it black with orange-brown-gold hockey stick and the old school Pantera lettering...
........................:willy_nilly:

Buoy
09-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Older women have a certain sex appeal. Dressing them up in the younger generations clothes takes away some of the appeal.
Just my .02

Very interesting thought.
I see the young generation everyday at work, and the way they dress to go out...
I wouldn't want to see my wife dressed that way, it looks silly.
Am I getting old? (rhetorical question).

Mikeb4
09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
post a few pics of the areas your contemplating

I agree, a pic would help me visualize the mod .....

Scarab KV
09-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Very interesting thought.
I see the young generation everyday at work, and the way they dress to go out...
I wouldn't want to see my wife dressed that way, it looks silly.
Am I getting old? (rhetorical question).

Nope...just defined:sifone:

Ratickle
09-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Or finally getting some class......:sifone:

Scarab KV
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Or finally getting some class......:sifone:

Ouch...that one's gonna leave a mark.:biggrinjester:

stormrider
09-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I like it on this phantom.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32405&d=1244513343

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34140&d=1246121320

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34158&d=1246147515

LittleDcsRodShop
09-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Hey Tim, I just seen this..

To add to Storms visual, the rear of the activators are also something to look at..?.

Wow isn't it funny how 1 idea always seems to bring on 3 more !!! haha

One thing to keep in mind & that I often tell customers is that its just as important to know what you don't want than to know what you want !! That may sound odd but I often have guys bring me, or email tons of pictures & still not sure exactly what they want.. So thats when I start drilling them on questions like that..

Not sure that made any sence..?

The balance of old school/modern is a tough one to hit allot of times..

Buoy
09-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks Scott, you just helped me in my indecision.:)

No, really, I know what you're saying, and I'm debating if this is a project I want to take on, and then, If I decide to take it on, will I be happy with the results?
From the exterior I want the boat to look old-school, but refined.
I want the interior classic, but modern.
I'm actually considering making the cockpit a quick-change from a sit down to a three-man stand-up.
I have a few ideas.
Guess I'm trying to make this two boats out of one.
Sean did the right thing and just bought two Pantera's. P-rick...:26: I'm jealous.

LittleDcsRodShop
09-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Forgive any oversight but are you keeping the windshield or redoing it as a fairing ?? it all factors in..

I totally understand the battle of balancing new ideas while still trying to remain somewhat loyal to the original plan.. I'm fighting it everyday !!

Oh yeah almost forgot yeah Sean is a p-rick..:26: however ya just can't help but love the guy..

Bobcat
09-18-2009, 08:19 AM
while I was out working in the heat of the Florida sun that pr*ck Sean sent me a text photo of a beer that was 3/4's gone.

Dude! Sweet!
09-18-2009, 11:53 AM
And here I am, coming on this thread to try to be helpful... And it turns out all my so called buddies are MFing me! :sifone:

And for the record, if you guys all knew me better you'd realize what an understatement "Penis" is! Funny, last night one of my life long best friends (even in the face of being challenged as she is, by her femaleness) was SCREAMING at me "why are you such an ASSSHOLE!" over and over. Ha ha ha! :26:

Dude! Sweet!
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Frankly, if I still owned it, i'd be hard pressed not to redo it almost exactly like this... I love the look of that boat.

Buoy
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Not MF-in you bud, just jealous that I don't also own a 28 race.

Scotty - the windshield stays.
Matter of fact on the exterior, everything stays as original (but still haven't made a decision on the transom cap).
All hardware is getting re-powdercoated, and so is the windshield frame.
When I order the new weatherstrip for the windshield, I spoke with the original manufacture that built them for PePe, and I need to get tempered glass made for it as it was originally. Sean, as you know, it had plexi in it.
My main upgrades are to clean up all the plumbing on the transom, and change the color of the hullsides.
All new interior, and new controls/gauges. Sean, you gotta admit the throttle/shifter needed replaced...

LittleDcsRodShop
09-18-2009, 10:39 PM
I really think that with the look you are going for that you would probably be best not capping it in my opinion.. I think a cap could be done right & look nice on a 24 however I really think old school is more of your goal.. If you are talking about replacing the old Morse throttle what are you going to replace it with ?? Since you are going old school I say keep it !! I love them in the right boat !! I actually picked one up for a buddies flats boat just a couple weeks ago..

Buoy
09-18-2009, 10:56 PM
No, it's not an old Morse, I have one around here that I originally wanted to use, but I decided on Gaffrig with trim on the throttle.
Someone before Sean put in a throttle/shifter, and then machined in an "on the throttle trim" It was a bit crude the way it was done. Functional, but had to go.

I'm beginning to lean away from capping the transom - thanks for talking me down guys!

BTW - that dash looks really nice!!

LittleDcsRodShop
09-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks, I tried to do the best with what I had to get that blend I was looking for at the time.. Yeah now that you mentioned the trim switch thing I am reminded of the not so safe idea back in those days of not having to trim with the hand you should be holding the wheel with !! My 24 although it wasn't all that fast It was an absolute handfull to drive at times if you were running it how it needed to be ran to squeeze every last ounce of speed out of it.. It was a TRS boat so ofcourse the X was low along with the fact that was a heavier tranny boat & loved a high rake prop & lots of trim.. Add that to regular ole cable steering along with the trim switches on the opisite side of the dash.. Then give a redneck a handheld GPS to look at while trying to do all that while running in a decent chop.. Man I really miss that boat sometimes.. The 24's are a fun boat b/c they eat up the chop like a big boat & still have the small boat feel to drive..

What color do you have in mind for the sides ??

insanity
09-19-2009, 01:41 AM
If the deck and the hull were more in line it would probably look pretty good. But it looks like it has about a 2 inch lip that juts out, and would probably be more trouble than its worth to get it smooth and straight.

Perlmudder
09-19-2009, 11:01 AM
I think leave it the way it is. update the rubrail, do new clean plumbing and it will look oldschool badass. i think a capped back looks nice on new sleak boats, but this boat is made to just look oldschool neat!

Buoy
09-19-2009, 10:35 PM
What color do you have in mind for the sides ??

A dark metallic gray. I've had this in mind for a long time, and The color I want is almost identical to the recent 28 that Pepe and JO built with the recesses in the hull side. I think they may have taken my idea and run with it:sifone:

If the deck and the hull were more in line it would probably look pretty good. But it looks like it has about a 2 inch lip that juts out, and would probably be more trouble than its worth to get it smooth and straight.

I just need to figure out if I can find a way to wrap the heavy-azz aluminum rubrail around the corner, and then make the curve up the transom without having it buckle or pucker. Originally it had a 4x4 transition piece bent to a 90 to cover the corner, and that is what I want to eliminate.

I think leave it the way it is. update the rubrail, do new clean plumbing and it will look oldschool badass. i think a capped back looks nice on new sleak boats, but this boat is made to just look oldschool neat!

I actually want to keep the old-school heavy aluminum rubrail - I've never installed rubrail before, and I'm a little nervous trying to make some of these bends. I've watched some videos on doing it, but I'm afraid about making the bends without kinks, and keeping it straight.