PDA

View Full Version : Check your balls

Tony
09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I get a call yesterday A.M. after loaning my truck to my dad late Monday night. He asks when the last time I looked at my hitch ball was......uhhh bout a month ago when I torqued it onto the insert. He says you need to come take a look at this.

Wierd thing is, Ive been towing the boat on a regular basis for the past few weeks and all has been well, the 100 mile trip up to Erie this past weekend was fine. The return trip home did have a few mysterious pops and jolts in the trailer.

insanity
09-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Gotta lube the balls up too. Couple squirts of grease helps keep the wear down on the ball and the coupler.

cigdaze
09-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Yup. Needs grease. The rust creates a lot of friction which does not allow the ball to turn within the receptacle and the nut in turn works its way loose. Lube those balls fellas.

Airpacker
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I just weld em on. never come lose again :)

Knot 4 Me
09-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Never had one back off like that. Yes, lube, lube, lube!

MILD THUNDER
09-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Nothing worse than your balls getting twisted or worn from lack of lube. What really sucks is I always leave my hitch in place in the reciever. Then when i walk past my ball, I tend to always seem to get a nice grease mark on a fresh pair of pants from rubbing it. I need to stick a tennis ball on it or something.....

baywatch
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Gotta lube the balls up too. Couple squirts of grease helps keep the wear down on the ball and the coupler.

a paint brush and a tub of high temperature bearing grease seems to work the best.