PDA

View Full Version : Water under stair?

540/27fastech
09-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi
I got a question for other formula owners. I have a 1998 271 I am have a issue with water under stair. Anyone else have this issue and have any suggestions on how to resolve this. Thanks

FULL FORCE
09-07-2009, 10:12 AM
They all have the problem if windshield leaks, fix the leak... problem solved...

Ted
09-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Usually this comes from the screws that mount the windshield to the hull leaking, they are under the rubber insert in the lower frame. Pull them, seal with silicone, reseat, and you should be good.

jwurl
09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Mine and many other 271's have the same thing. There have been many posts on this on OSO. My boat never gets rained on , so I know the windshield is not leaking. The water is running from the engine compartment up to the front of the hull when the boat is moving or on the trailer. I know this is a fact because I had an oil leak at one time and there was oil under my step. If you want to solve the problem, put a cork in the drain hole coming from the engine compartment. Jeff Wurl

FULL FORCE
09-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Mine and many other 271's have the same thing. There have been many posts on this on OSO. My boat never gets rained on , so I know the windshield is not leaking. The water is running from the engine compartment up to the front of the hull when the boat is moving or on the trailer. I know this is a fact because I had an oil leak at one time and there was oil under my step. If you want to solve the problem, put a cork in the drain hole coming from the engine compartment. Jeff Wurl

From what I know about the Formulas there is no drain from the step, so how can the water get in from the back of the boat?

I would not recommend plugging that hole either, that is asking for water buildup under the gas tank..

Fossil Fuel
09-13-2009, 11:17 AM
jwurl is correct. If the step compartment is completely dry and you wash the bilge under the engine.....presto...step compartment gets wet. There is a drain the allows water to pass. A simple cork in the step compartment will solve this mystery.

LAKE EFFECT
09-14-2009, 06:38 AM
The early SR1's with the plywood stringer system would build up water under the screwed down step from things like leaking windshields, and not be discovered because of minimal access to the step area, and no drain to the engine bilge. At least thats what happened to my 1988 311, and it did rot my front bulkhead(which sucked..).

The Fastechs were redesigned(at least the 353 was), with a flip up step,and a gel coated little bilge area. Also with what appears to be a PVC pipe from the front to back bilge. On the 353 the head area drains to the frt bilge, and Formula installed a rubber removeable drain plug wired to the engine bilge near the rear drain.

I've gotten water from my bilge in the frt as well, and its probabally easier with the 271. As mentioned, make sure its dry and plug it.

LE

FormulaOne
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Had the same problem on mine. Drained it and plugged the hole. Hasn't filled up again so I think that ruled out the windshield leaking.

540/27fastech
10-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the replies. I have sucked all the water out with a wet dry vac but the second i either tow the boat or back it down the ramp all this water is back in there. The water is clear water but it is stagnient so its been in there for awhile. I am still trying to figure it out the boat is going in heated storage for winter so I dont have any other freeze issues with that water in there. Anyone with other thoughts?

Thanks Doug

LAKE EFFECT
10-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the replies. I have sucked all the water out with a wet dry vac but the second i either tow the boat or back it down the ramp all this water is back in there. The water is clear water but it is stagnient so its been in there for awhile. I am still trying to figure it out the boat is going in heated storage for winter so I dont have any other freeze issues with that water in there. Anyone with other thoughts?

Thanks Doug

Can you check your fresh water tank, look for any loose connections or possibly a crack in the tank, check the fill hose. Maybe old water from an overfilled tank that only makes it to the step when the front of the boat is up. Store it with the nose as high as possible, and try to get all that water out of there.

LE