PDA

View Full Version : Tab Placement

Trim'd Up
09-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I am getting ready to mount a set of 380's on my Baja 240' sport. I am planning to move the tabs in towards the drive because over 70 the boat rides so high out of the water that the outer lifting strakes are barely in the water, let alone the factory tab location. My question is, would it be ok to mount the tabs over the strakes? If I move them inside of the strakes the prop could "possibly" hit the tabs if trimed way up. Still trying to decide if I want to mount them horizontal or not too.
Thanks,
Chad

MikeyFIN
09-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Horizontal !

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Many Schools of thought here. It seems there may be different objectives too. Do you use the tabs to help balance the boat side to side? Do you use the boat in rough water?

Narrow tabs are active all the time. If you are operating the boat at high speeds in calmer water this may be your choice. I like them wide. This way they are only active in swells that are big enough to hit them. They can remain down slightly with no effect on speed and when a wave or swell big enough to disrupt the boat is encountered they are already in place to send the boat straight ahead. In typically rough water I believe wide is they way to go.

Now my opinion on the angle part. I prefer the same angle as the dead rise in most cases. On faster boats and those with pads I choose half the dead rise.

I don't believe in horizontal.

Narrow tabs can effect the boats ability to get on plane in the rough too.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Horizontal !

Is for tunnel tabs:biggrinjester:

MikeyFIN
09-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Is for tunnel tabs:biggrinjester:
Especially :26:

Trim'd Up
09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I am at LOTO alot, and that is pretty damn rough for a 24', but I do spend a good deal of time on smoother water where I would like to be able to wring the boat out. It is dead solid to 83-84mph as long as there is some chop, on smooth water I think a little tab will help calm the walking. The boat has more in it, but I don't have hydraulic yet so I have already pushed it further than I should.

I was kinda wanting to split the difference on wide vs narrow, but that would put the tab dead center over the lifting strake. Will that be an issue? I have read that you shouldn't put tabs near a strake.

C_Spray
10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Aren't 380's a bit excessive for a 24' boat? Unless you restrict the downward travel, you could get in trouble, especially in a rough landing.

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 05:34 PM
If u don't have a Box on it ,,the 380's will be worthless,,,take the 280's and place them horizontal as close to the drive as u can .

That will help chinewalk !!!

Now @ neutral set the waterspary will hit the tabs and the boat saty's level (not walking) !!!!

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Those look like training wheels to me.

The steering wheel is the thing to use for chine walking.:driving:

imco offshore
10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Those look like training wheels to me.

The steering wheel is the thing to use for chine walking.:driving:

jimmy thats an aero tek and dd ????:willy_nilly:

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-26-2009, 07:14 PM
It looks like a Phantom transom doesn't it? I see a Kinetic Sticker too.

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 07:22 PM
It looks like a Phantom transom doesn't it? I see a Kinetic Sticker too.

Yeah,,,tell George. LOL:sifone:

IT IS A PHANTOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 07:23 PM

U don't even reconize the back of your boat ???? hahaha:rofl:

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 07:29 PM

Aero-Tek's look alot better then that !!!!!!!

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Scotty, Didn't you tell me your boat had a Excalibur bottom on it?

The ones I saw had a pad.

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Scotty, Didn't you tell me your boat had a Excalibur bottom on it?

The ones I saw had a pad.

The original 32 Excalibur was like mine,,,your X boss did the pad in a parkinglot here in Sarasota !!!!!!

Ratickle
10-26-2009, 07:45 PM
The original 32 Excalibur was like mine,,,your X boss did the pad in a parkinglot here in Sarasota !!!!!!

Towing it without a trailer???????:sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I can't say I know the complete history but, I know an Excalibur had a pad. Maybe they called it a 31?

Trim'd Up
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I got a real good deal on the 380's otherwise I would have probably went to 280's. That being said, I put them parallel to the hull halfway between the drive and the outer chine. The main reason I wanted the bigger tabs was for the ride, and the 380's make a huge difference in the rough. It takes very little tab to keep the bow down. If I was to do it again I would still do the 380's.

My boat is dead solid into the mid 80's and will be better with the hydraulic steering. The only time it chines at all is on dead smooth water and light on fuel/people.

I guess I might as well take them off though since I don't have a ext. box :rolleyes:

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I can't say I know the complete history but, I know an Excalibur had a pad. Maybe they called it a 31?

Let me find these pictures here from 32 and 27 excalibur's,,,non of them have a pad !!!!!

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I used to work on one . It was a 30 or 31. Maybe late '70's early 80's boat.

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I got a real good deal on the 380's otherwise I would have probably went to 280's. That being said, I put them parallel to the hull halfway between the drive and the outer chine. The main reason I wanted the bigger tabs was for the ride, and the 380's make a huge difference in the rough. It takes very little tab to keep the bow down. If I was to do it again I would still do the 380's.

My boat is dead solid into the mid 80's and will be better with the hydraulic steering. The only time it chines at all is on dead smooth water and light on fuel/people.

I guess I might as well take them off though since I don't have a ext. box :rolleyes:

Your robing speed with the 380's versus the 280's without a box ,,is all i am saying.
yes u would need to trim the tabs a tat lower with 280's but they would not drag as much !!!!
I am not trying to be a smarta$$,,,i just whanted to help u because i been there.
Your welcome anyways.:seeya:

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 07:57 PM
I used to work on one . It was a 30 or 31. Maybe late '70's early 80's boat.

The ones i seen had no pad,,,and the reason why your X boss cut one on them ,,,is because they did not have one .
Everybody here in Sarasota in the boat business back then actually thought Reggie was grazy,,,,and he proofed them all wrong .LOL:sifone:

I find the pics !!!!!!

Knot 4 Me
10-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Keep an eye out for a used set of 280 plates. They'll swap right out for the 380's. That is a lot of tab for a 24' boat...

MattBMiller
10-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I'll swap my 280's for the 380's. I've been looking for a set.

Trim'd Up
10-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I like the 380's. They will be staying on, unless they come off to go on another hull. :D I can bury them all the way running slow and they don't submarine the boat or anything funny. When they are all the way up they don't touch the water so I don't see how I can be scrubbing speed in smooth water, and in rough water it takes very little tab to keep the bow down and flying level. Haven't found a downside yet.