PDA

View Full Version : My Hustler ran 105.1 mph today

Strip Poker 388
11-07-2008, 01:57 AM
I ran my Hustler Wednesday, everything was just right ,clear day,cool water, light wind with a good 8-12" chop all in one direction. I took all the spare parts,junk,etc out of the boat, drained the water tank, w/ 80 gallons of 93 with alittle oct boost in it. A previous Wed I ran a 102.4 and was hoping for a low 103mph pass this time, I change up by turning the props in...getting on plan was close to the same,it shot a little more rooster tail and there was more spray to the right for some reason? At 4000rpm it was 70mph. Well it hit 104 first try then hit 105mph at 58-5900. I couldn't believe it, It felt pretty good, the boat was coming a lot more out of the water, It had a little less tendency to chine walk, the porpoising was bad though, but it was carrying the nose higher and longer this time, like doing a wheelie, it would get on top, nose up then the rear would go to the right as it was coming up. I would turn to the right about 2 inches on the wheel to counteract the back end going right. It would carry the nose alittle more and then drop and come right back up.You could tell when its up its gaining,The speed jumped from 101 to 104 and stayed on 104 for a while then it hit 105 MPH.I think that was all it had that day? It did not like being rolled up to it,before I was rolling up to 90-95 then hitting it. It was better to hit it around 85-90 drive thru it.If it would stay up I think it would pick up more, But I bet there's really not much hull in the water,as with the other pictures I have the 2nd chine is out of the water in them at a 100mph. It feels alot more out of the water than at 101-102,I trimmed up to 3 just to see,it was really flying the nose,but it felt really loose and snaking and I didn't want to push it being I was on the lake by myself. At 3 It sure would accelerate hard starting at 80 and up , the above run was at 2 1/2 on the trim indicator, no tabs. I tried 2 1/4 and 2 it was slower.Drives nose toed in 3/8.Just think if I knew what I was doing howd it run. Sure wish I had someone taking pictures with it that far out of the water.

Rob

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5807/hustler1051mph1108060merj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

boatme
11-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Strip,

How fast did it go once you took it off the trailer ???? That is on fast tow truck you have :)

Just funnin with ya Congrats on the speed that is a great number for that set up

Trim'd Up
11-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Nice number. Fall weather sure makes em run.

pullmytrigger
11-07-2008, 09:54 AM
pretty awesome Rob.....let er' eat.....!!!!!!

Thunderstruck
11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Good job Strip! Impressive numbers.

getchasum111
11-07-2008, 11:29 AM
thats smokin...congrats...

chris sunsation
11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Very Impressive. Congrats.

Coolerman
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
some stiffer leaf springs in the rear end of your chevy would help elimate some porpoising when driving over speed bumps! :D

Congrats on the number!

dwtinc
01-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Thats great

Strip Poker 388
01-14-2009, 02:49 AM
some stiffer leaf springs in the rear end of your chevy would help elimate some porpoising when driving over speed bumps! :D

Congrats on the number!

Thanks,I just got a boom box for it:)

Ratickle
01-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Congrats Rob, really sweet...:drool5::drool5::drool5:

f311fr1
01-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Props turing in will help negate stern lift. It sure does make docking a PITA.

Strip Poker 388
01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Props turing in will help negate stern lift. It sure does make docking a PITA.

Joe Actually it was caring the nose higher than norm.After that day I tore it down and found a broke gimble pin:eek: it had about 1 inch of slack at the skeg,I'm in the process of rebuilding both transom assembles,and upper gears:(bad winter.

hey Joe what ya been up to?

Strip Poker 388
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
The helmet pin hole was eat up,the ring was wallowed some.

Sunsation96
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
That is moving fo sur! congrats

scandelous
02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Thinking a buying a 40' Fiore, with 1100's staggered, and number 6's. Any thoughts? :sifone:

fast fun 2
02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
do it :sifone:

dykstra
04-16-2009, 09:09 PM
awesome numbers Rob!

rschap1
04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Congrats!

Strip Poker 388
04-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Thanks guys,maybe fixing ll the loose stuff in the drive and steering might help

Jassman
04-25-2009, 07:31 AM
great numbers..Im glad you found the problem before it found you..:cheers2:

Strip Poker 388
04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks Jeff,I should be good for a few more years ,atleast everything will be new once I get it back together.I havent even played with props yet,just stock 30 bravo ones 4 blades,I need to get Brett to work them over:)

Bobcat
06-13-2009, 06:26 PM
:seeya:

Strip Poker 388
10-29-2009, 12:10 AM
trowing some shet out there.

clean it

Strip Poker 388
10-29-2009, 12:12 AM
they do corrode in the sauntered section:driving:

Strip Poker 388
10-29-2009, 12:13 AM
fell apart 3 summers ,when i pulled the motors it came apart:(

Strip Poker 388
10-29-2009, 12:14 AM
flow test

Strip Poker 388
10-29-2009, 12:18 AM
a little rubbing

Strip Poker 388
10-29-2009, 12:22 AM
fuel,hasrmonic.all new and tight

Strip Poker 388
10-29-2009, 12:25 AM
df Imco for sale

DAREDEVIL
10-29-2009, 12:28 AM
a little rubbing

I think with this,,u just slowed your boat down 4-6 MPH !!!!!:(

Strip Poker 388
10-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I think with this,,u just slowed your boat down 4-6 MPH !!!!!:(

I also wet sanded and buffed the bottom slick,Im sure this will slow me down also.but the bottom was getting so porious,it would stain it in one day.:(

I had a broke gimble pin when I ran this #:D

Bradz
12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
The lowers look great all polished. Sorry it will not last too long in the water. Also a satin finish is faster. Sandpaper the bottom also, not polish for more speed. I have watched F1 tunnel hull guys use 220 sandpaper on the hull bottom. I saw one that used primer paint for a rough finish.

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Yea I know it will tarnish and is slower,but I'm not trying to get that last 1/2 mph,Id rather the bottom be slick and not asorb the muddy water and then have to clean the bottom every time I use the boat,I figure the drives will turn the first time in the water they have been sitting in the garage over 3 months and have tarnished some ,So I repolished them,I have a car/boatshow coming up Jan and figured it be a good time for some good picks.

it will have been 1 year tomorrow Dec 3rd when I took it to the paint shop, the motors are back in,Ive had a year to polish:rolleyes:I'm leaving the full cover on making a TP with a little heater it working out pretty good down to 50.Now I have to put the new interior and cabin back together:D

Rob

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Maybe polishing the steering system,the brass steering hose ends,or buffing the transom for days may help make it faster:cheers2:

nocigarette
12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
That is a strong number rob...You have went way above and beyond with that boat.....I would think that is the fastest 388 out there........What did the boost brothers run i cant remember.....Have you done bottom work also?

Looks great love the lowers.....I tried to get my old #3's to shine but they never looked like yours...

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 01:19 PM
or maybe :eek:

Polishing the hinge pins
could remove the 87pd sub box
polishing the oil drain quick connect
Rob:D

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Did u get a new polishing machine ???????? LOL

Hey ,,maybe i need to send u some parts !:sifone::rolleyes:

Looks nice .:USA:

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
That is a strong number rob...You have went way above and beyond with that boat.....I would think that is the fastest 388 out there........What did the boost brothers run i cant remember.....Have you done bottom work also?

Looks great love the lowers.....I tried to get my old #3's to shine but they never looked like yours...

Thanks,the turing in of the props made a diff,I wonder what it would of run with out the slack in the drive from the broken ginble ring,Before the ran I checked the tow in and it was 13/16 towed in,thats running 102,I adjusted it as far as the tie bar would go,it needed more thread, prob because of the slack, so it was flopping,adjusted to 3/8 tow.Ive really never done much testing,Ive always just run a stock 30p bravo ones, Brett wants to lab a set of 32 Ive .I tried the 32 ,it still ran the 102 but didn't want to buz,felt sluggish the 30's can go 6000.on the dyno at 5900 it only was gaining 5-7hp per 100 rpm up to 6200.

My buddy Jason On OSO has a 388 also,around 1000hp guessing,bravos and extension box, he has already hit 110 and has only been running for 3 months, I know with some testing and props testing he has more in it!!!

I know of 3 other 388 that claim 108, One I trust.If there is some other Ive never heard of them or seen them on the board,just need to know the pitch,rpm,gear.:03:

Boost bro was around 140ish,the had a lot of mods,big arninson's,In the beginning Zull dynoed one at upper 1300hp,I'm "guessing" they were agood bit over 1400 when they ran the #'s,They built there own motors.

its take time sanding them down to get ready to polish,Also there are different grades of aluminum, We allegedly use to steal hwy signs.that grade would not polish out chrome looking.I bet your #3 will,I went from 36 grinding,belt sanding,then 80,120,320 alto,500 loaded up,then hand 500,800,I still has some coarse sanding marks,that showed up in the buffing,Kinda like in a new paint job,you have to spend a little time so the job will come out shinny,If ya need some help just holler.

On my Chevelle the windshield washer motor is a mixed pot metal alum,I buffed it in 1991,Ive just windexed since.you can see it to the left of the brake booster

Rob:driving:

Big pick
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7019/chevelle1107005custom.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/chevelle1107005custom.jpg/)

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Did u get a new polishing machine ???????? LOL

Hey ,,maybe i need to send u some parts !:sifone::rolleyes:

Looks nice .:USA:

Actually I just bought a polisher after Ive polished everything already:rolleyes:I havent used it yet,Ive been waiting to a deal came across.
Naw, I dont want to do much buffing for a while,Thanks for the comp!

Rob:)

Heres the buffer I just got last week,
ck out the difference before and after
I spent some hours just to thin the drives,the skegs are still fat

Sunsation96
12-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Awesome now post some pics of the paint.... PLEASE!!!!

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I even polished my shaft:huh:

drive before sanding

Anodes polish easy

The paint on the tabs are ruff but polishes out ok

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Nocig this is a pick of the porosity,They keep coming back up if I grind them out,Dean said I couldn't sand thru:eek:I know he puts a seal inside the case some it doesn't leak thru ,Ive has some caps with oil coming out the pin holes before.Micro zoom

Airpacker
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Nocig this is a pick of the porosity,They keep coming back up if I grind them out,Dean said I couldn't sand thru:eek:I know he puts a seal inside the case some it doesn't leak thru ,Ive has some caps with oil coming out the pin holes before.Micro zoom

Hey Rob, if oil can seep out, what stops water from seeping in?

PS, I thought I was alone in the polish everything club. Every nut, bolt, washer, screw head, fitting yada yada yada.
Over 600 pieces and 5 polishing wheels for my rerig project.

I left the lower on my new drive ugly though. Every mph counts :)

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 03:57 PM
What did u use to polish all that ???

Any special tricks to make it easy ???

PLEASE LET US KNOW !!!!!:USA:

Airpacker
12-02-2009, 04:31 PM
screws and bolts are a piece of cake. Chuck them in a drill, spin them against some sand paper in your hand to remove the manufactures markings and grade stamps and then take them to the buffing wheel. Coarse compund first and then finnish compund on the second wheel. Unchuk em and let em fall out of the drill. DO NOT TOUCH THEM .......trust me on that part.

I have a couple nice thread shaped scars from that lesson.

Nuts, thread them onto a piece of wooden dowel to make holding them easy. I used a dremel held in a vice with a sanding disc to clean them up a bit before polishing them.

Washers I screwed to a board leaving them just loose enough to rotate. Hit them with a body polisher with a wool pad and 3m finnish cut after a quick spin with the sanding dremel.

All told, I polished over 600 fastners and about 150 flat washers that way.

nocigarette
12-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks,the turing in of the props made a diff,I wonder what it would of run with out the slack in the drive from the broken ginble ring,Before the ran I checked the tow in and it was 13/16 towed in,thats running 102,I adjusted it as far as the tie bar would go,it needed more thread, prob because of the slack, so it was flopping,adjusted to 3/8 tow.Ive really never done much testing,Ive always just run a stock 30p bravo ones, Brett wants to lab a set of 32 Ive .I tried the 32 ,it still ran the 102 but didn't want to buz,felt sluggish the 30's can go 6000.on the dyno at 5900 it only was gaining 5-7hp per 100 rpm up to 6200.

My buddy Jason On OSO has a 388 also,around 1000hp guessing,bravos and extension box, he has already hit 110 and has only been running for 3 months, I know with some testing and props testing he has more in it!!!

I know of 3 other 388 that claim 108, One I trust.If there is some other Ive never heard of them or seen them on the board,just need to know the pitch,rpm,gear.:03:

Boost bro was around 140ish,the had a lot of mods,big arninson's,In the beginning Zull dynoed one at upper 1300hp,I'm "guessing" they were agood bit over 1400 when they ran the #'s,They built there own motors.

its take time sanding them down to get ready to polish,Also there are different grades of aluminum, We allegedly use to steal hwy signs.that grade would not polish out chrome looking.I bet your #3 will,I went from 36 grinding,belt sanding,then 80,120,320 alto,500 loaded up,then hand 500,800,I still has some coarse sanding marks,that showed up in the buffing,Kinda like in a new paint job,you have to spend a little time so the job will come out shinny,If ya need some help just holler.

On my Chevelle the windshield washer motor is a mixed pot metal alum,I buffed it in 1991,Ive just windexed since.you can see it to the left of the brake booster

Rob:driving:

Big pick
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7019/chevelle1107005custom.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/chevelle1107005custom.jpg/)

Woooooow......looks great....i have always loved that chevelle.....You are going the smart route with Bret he is a genius, with a real exstensive backround in props......Good to see a guy spending way to much money on his boat.......GOOD WAY TO STIMULATE THE ECONOMY......:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey Rob, if oil can seep out, what stops water from seeping in?

PS, I thought I was alone in the polish everything club. Every nut, bolt, washer, screw head, fitting yada yada yada.
Over 600 pieces and 5 polishing wheels for my rerig project.

I left the lower on my new drive ugly though. Every mph counts :)

I think it only leaked when hot under some pressure,the back cap leakes just sitting there,made a mess.That summer I must of gone thru 7 caps, the oil got real expemsice that year:mad:

Strip Poker 388
12-02-2009, 05:54 PM
What did u use to polish all that ???

Any special tricks to make it easy ???

PLEASE LET US KNOW !!!!!:USA:

No tricks, just time,buffing the headers on the wheel kills your back and for earms:D after the sanding on the foot, I had some old wool buffing pads and a buddy works for a polishing material co ,so I got 1st and 2nd cut liquid compounds,he must of gave me 10 gallons,it was free so i used it ,it would get a shine on the drives, Next I took the miketia paint buffer and put 2 6inch sisal,Cotton wheels on it,turned it up on end and used white rouge,the first time it worked pretty good last week it didn't really want to shine back up, I used some cleaner wax and Cotton wading stuff by hand,its still alittle cloudy.the first piece always turns out better ya get tired on the second one:D

the other stuff that you can hold to polish I used 6-8in cotton buff wheels from Eastwood and a 1/3 hp 3400rpm single short shaft electric motor,its 23 years old,Its been a good one Dayton.

This is my Dirty room,were I do all my cleaning, polishing, etc as to not get the garage dirty.I need a bigger room with more wall space:rolleyes:

The 3m alum polish works real good to get it to the Polishing stage, this is what I used on my old Scarab i beam trailer, I had it looking like the foot once,to hard to keep it up sitting outside in the weather,just like the tool boxson the Myco,I have even used car paint polishing compounds.

also the motors ball with there polish I used between the blower ribs,this rigged up a 3 inch Cotton wheel on a drill, the drill just turns to slow.

glassdave
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Anodes polish easy

now thats kinda funny right there knowing full well its a sacrificial piece . . . . nuts . . . but funny :D

dont forget the tip on the end of the oil drain plug :D

Strip Poker 388
12-03-2009, 01:06 AM
screws and bolts are a piece of cake. Chuck them in a drill, spin them against some sand paper in your hand to remove the manufactures markings and grade stamps and then take them to the buffing wheel. Coarse compund first and then finnish compund on the second wheel. Unchuk em and let em fall out of the drill. DO NOT TOUCH THEM .......trust me on that part.

I have a couple nice thread shaped scars from that lesson.

Nuts, thread them onto a piece of wooden dowel to make holding them easy. I used a dremel held in a vice with a sanding disc to clean them up a bit before polishing them.

Washers I screwed to a board leaving them just loose enough to rotate. Hit them with a body polisher with a wool pad and 3m finnish cut after a quick spin with the sanding dremel.

All told, I polished over 600 fastners and about 150 flat washers that way.

I did some of the bolt heads takeing the markings off,alot were allens,they dont shine up much ,if ya take the lines off the side they would show up very good anyway.I have tryied the drill press, I usally just hold them on the buffer,burn your fingers and drop it and grag anouther,I know when i get burned thru the glove I pressing to hard.

hey this thread is turning into a buffing thread:cheers2:

Air have ya had the buffer grab something your polishing and chunk it,stick into the sheet rock? after it hits your hand,that hurts:huh:

Strip Poker 388
12-03-2009, 01:21 AM
now thats kinda funny right there knowing full well its a sacrificial piece . . . . nuts . . . but funny :D

don't forget the tip on the end of the oil drain plug :D

Sacrificial like my liver:cheers2:Mine is anodized blue with blue areoquip fuel line:)but its kinda faded though.:boobflash:

Dave they might show up in the transom picks,ital look cool for a few minutes:)

Strip Poker 388
12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Awesome now post some pics of the paint.... PLEASE!!!!

Airpacker
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I did some of the bolt heads takeing the markings off,alot were allens,they dont shine up much ,if ya take the lines off the side they would show up very good anyway.I have tryied the drill press, I usally just hold them on the buffer,burn your fingers and drop it and grag anouther,I know when i get burned thru the glove I pressing to hard.

hey this thread is turning into a buffing thread:cheers2:

Air have ya had the buffer grab something your polishing and chunk it,stick into the sheet rock? after it hits your hand,that hurts:huh:

Burning the fingies is why I chuck them in a drill Rob. I think I figured that out after I burned them, then put on leather gloves and burned em again :(.

Spinning them in the drill against the polishing wheel makes it a snap and no more burned finger tips.

No drywall in my work shop but I did take a 1/2" nut off the forehead. That left a mark. I may find it some day or maybe not :)

Unfortunately, snagging things on the wheel happened a few too many times. A couple even sent me back to re fabrication :(:( after the pieces slammed into imoveable objects and got screwed.

Strip Poker 388
12-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Burning the fingies is why I chuck them in a drill Rob. I think I figured that out after I burned them, then put on leather gloves and burned em again :(.

Spinning them in the drill against the polishing wheel makes it a snap and no more burned finger tips.

No drywall in my work shop but I did take a 1/2" nut off the forehead. That left a mark. I may find it some day or maybe not :)

Unfortunately, snagging things on the wheel happened a few too many times. A couple even sent me back to re fabrication :(:( after the pieces slammed into imoveable objects and got screwed.

Forehead:huh:,That reminds me on the time I burned my forehead on one of the metal treble lights with a 100w bulb,the skin even peeled off,I have florasent light now:cheers2:

Ive been using a 1/3 hp motor,now I have the 3/4 I bet its going to be worse:(gota make sure I wear my safty glass's

Rob

Strip Poker 388
12-07-2009, 01:42 AM
scotch brited the trailer and buffed tool boxs today:cheers2:

toed in:rolleyes:

Strip Poker 388
12-07-2009, 01:52 AM
I got all the interior back in the boat last night,Its been out a year and 3 days:(snowed pretty good,heater in boat,alittle beer made it warm enough:) made a T pee with the cover:eek:polished all the gel coat in the cabin,used the 3m ultra Fina, got a pretty good shine,then waxed it and even waxed the walls in the bathroom,shinny.Next polish stainless sink.

Rob:cheers2:

Sunsation96
12-07-2009, 08:41 AM
OMFG! Rob your boat is sweeeeeeeeeeet! It is nice to see someone take so much pride in a boat! congrats and I hope to see lots of pictures come this summer. I can't say it enough sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet boat, the paint looks awesome the color combo is perfect clean and not over done I think some times boats can be over done. You have made my day now I want a boat more than ever.

neversatisfied
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Rob are your lowers standard or shorties?
Thanks, Steve

Strip Poker 388
01-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Rob are your lowers standard or shorties?
Thanks, Steve

Steve they are standard length,I think it needs the extra bite,I have heard of some guys running the Imco 2 inch shorties,they claim to help.Ive really never did much testing.I know the water ripple makes a bunch off diff on the water!! If its flat its going to porpoise bad,the 1 foot chop ans no cross wake or wind so it want throw it into a chine walk, Turning the props in was 3 mph,but the porpoise was pretty violent.it would turn left on the up cycle,then snake when it hits the water then pull the front bow up just like riding a wheelie on a bike.it felt like if it could Carry the front it would really pick up,mine jumped from the norm 102 to to 103 bounce then carried the front 104,then 105.I know I am over trimming but it is faster porpoising

Also when I ran the 105 it has a broke Gimbel pin.the skeg would move over a inch side to side, prob the reason for snaking??? everything is brand new,I try and do some testing this spring when its still cool ,also try the 32's see if i can turn them to 6k turning in.

I think the extension box would help.Look cool to

I need to play with some labed props,I'm running stock stuff

Steve how yours doing??

Strip Poker 388
01-14-2010, 12:32 AM
this is what Ive been killing myself getting the boat back together for.I got it back from paint Oct,its was gutted.The show was fun and we got a good bit of attention,and its inside and I could do alot of buffing and waxing.be cold outside.:cheers2

rob:cheers2:

Team Tsunami
01-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Look amazing Rob!!!!

Strip Poker 388
01-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Look amazing Rob!!!!

Thanks very much

neversatisfied
01-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Boat looks awsome Rob.
Glad you finally got it back togather. Hope your able to enjoy it this year.

Mine is tucked away waiting for spring can't wait to get it out. No major plans to update this year as the wife informed me of a few major projects were doing to the house this spring (whoopee) before our son graduates in June.

sweet addiction
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
WOW!!!!! That is one nice rig you have. I am very jealous. Good work.

this is what Ive been killing myself getting the boat back together for.I got it back from paint Oct,its was gutted.The show was fun and we got a good bit of attention,and its inside and I could do alot of buffing and waxing.be cold outside.:cheers2

rob:cheers2:

MERPerformance
01-21-2010, 10:46 PM
The helmet pin hole was eat up,the ring was wallowed some.

I just replaced one just like that on a 47 Fountain w triples. The pin looked like it was fractured long before it failed.

Strip Poker 388
01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks,Hopefully we will have a good summer 2010.

We had alot of traffic looking at the boat at the car show.My niece having fun in the romper room:driving:

Airpacker
01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Very nice indeed Rob. Looks like all the fussin and mussin paid off large. She looks sweet.

SLOWRIDE-388
01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Boat look freaking awesome Rob. Looks like a bunch of polishing.

Strip Poker 388
01-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Boat look freaking awesome Rob. Looks like a bunch of polishing.

Thanks,something i wouldnt want to be doing durring the summer:cheers2: