PDA

View Full Version : project boats...." old school " still looking

nocigarette
09-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I have laid back for a while and enjoyed my son and boating with no wrenching....."center console with outboards"......I was on a search for the old mans Bertram moppie and came up empty handed...........

So with that being said i will put it to the pro's at serious to see what is out there to be brought back to life....

Please help, anything old school and available, please post pics and prices because everyone en-joy's dreaming of what they can due with a project.....

Sincerely NOCIGARETTE......

Ratickle
09-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I have laid back for a while and enjoyed my son and boating with no wrenching....."center console with outboards"......I was on a search for the old mans Bertram moppie and came up empty handed...........

So with that being said i will put it to the pro's at serious to see what is out there to be brought back to life....

Please help, anything old school and available, please post pics and prices because everyone en-joy's dreaming of what they can due with a project.....

But it can't be a Cigarette? :sifone:

Are you really looking for a certain Bertram Moppie? Or is any Moppie your first choice. Because if this is all the info you give, we'll bury you with options.....:)

FastDonzi
09-03-2009, 08:27 PM
How Big of boat do you want??? Theres been some former "A" Class race boats popping up here and there, If you and one or two other people want to go speeding around, jumping waves, just having a friggin Ball for Minimal Jack they'd be hard to beat, especially for the FUN Factor. How big do you Want...

Dude! Sweet!
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Race? Pleasure? Both? :D

nocigarette
09-04-2009, 07:48 PM
But it can't be a Cigarette? :sifone:

Are you really looking for a certain Bertram Moppie? Or is any Moppie your first choice. Because if this is all the info you give, we'll bury you with options.....:)

the boat in my avatar is my dads old bertram use to be the old swap shop boat......Cant find it anywhere, last seen in ontario canada...

As far as size or race boat i really don't care.....The size o the project really doesn't matter either....

Dude! Sweet!
09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
How 'bout Nordskog's Holocaust? I think it's out your way and it's a cool, unique boat?

nocigarette
09-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Pics....Not familiar with her......

Trim'd Up
09-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Pics....Not familiar with her......

This one?

Flying Dutchman
09-05-2009, 07:02 AM
This Rabco looks like fun-
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195810

Offshore Ginger
09-05-2009, 10:59 AM
the boat in my avatar is my dads old bertram use to be the old swap shop boat......Cant find it anywhere, last seen in ontario canada...

As far as size or race boat i really don't care.....The size o the project really doesn't matter either....There is a 38 Bert in D.Mich for sale .

Ratickle
09-05-2009, 11:34 AM

As far as size or race boat i really don't care.....The size o the project really doesn't matter either....

To start a real good search, I need to know everything about it you know. Drives, engines, length, beam, anything different than any other, year, etc....

MikeyFIN
09-05-2009, 03:14 PM
There is a 38 Bert in D.Mich for sale .
Info??

nocigarette
09-05-2009, 04:44 PM
There is a 38 Bert in D.Mich for sale .

Red and white by any chance.....That is a completed boat i am looking for either my dads old bertram or a another project...If it is the boat i am thinking of.......done right and a nice boat.......
Pm me if it is really for sale...

Buoy
09-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I look forward to seeing your next project.
You did a great job on the Magnum.

nocigarette
09-05-2009, 04:57 PM
To start a real good search, I need to know everything about it you know. Drives, engines, length, beam, anything different than any other, year, etc....

as far as i know the boat was a 1972 #3 speedys with the skegs cut, tunnel ram 750's built by jomar engineering,patterson headers,crushed velvet blue interior,aircraft fuel fills...etc

The before as follows...

nocigarette
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Bought from preston hen at the swap shop he owned.....Was raced under that name...Here are a few of it before it was redone by my dad...

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 05:54 PM
This one?

I believe so. I've seen a couple of shots that Charlie McCarthy's put up. Top Banana ( :D ) knows where to find it. Great piece of history!

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I was trying to track down the old WD40 Bert for a while. I'd heard she was in a field in Long Island or NJ with her transom cut out. Never made ANY headway though on getting any more info. I love those big Bertram Comps. Great lines and style.

Ratickle
09-05-2009, 06:05 PM
I was trying to track down the old WD40 Bert for a while. I'd heard she was in a field in Long Island or NJ with her transom cut out. Never made ANY headway though on getting any more info. I love those big Bertram Comps. Great lines and style.

Dude, can you PM or email Black Tornado and see if he recognizes it?

I'll PM Charlie. Back when Doc raced, after his retirement, didn't the one he ran look almost identical?

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Dude, can you PM or email Black Tornado and see if he recognizes it?

I'll PM Charlie. Back when Doc raced, after his retirement, didn't the one he ran look almost identical?

Magoon?

I'll try to see if I can dig up Marco's email. I can't PM on OSO anymore because I'd have to delete something like 100 PMs before I got under the limit... I'll also hit people up on boatmad.com

Ratickle
09-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Magoon?

Yep, sure has to be real close, if not the boat.....

Dude! Sweet!
09-05-2009, 06:22 PM
http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=166353#post166353

Submitted a request with the Europeans...

How bout this project?!

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14372

nocigarette
09-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I look forward to seeing your next project.
You did a great job on the Magnum.

I appreciate the kind words bouy.......

Hope all is well with you.....

nocigarette
09-05-2009, 07:04 PM
http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=166353#post166353

Submitted a request with the Europeans...

How bout this project?!

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14372

Thanks for the postings on the other forum......I think after the shipping and the cost to due that boat right i could buy daddy cool and ram some scorpion blower motors in it with a original paint job and be further ahead....

Keep them coming.....

Buoy
09-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I appreciate the kind words bouy.......

Hope all is well with you.....

Things are well.
Loving the desert.
Do you wanna buy a snow shovel and two windshield scrapers?? You're gonna need them soon.:sifone:

Thanks for the postings on the other forum......I think after the shipping and the cost to due that boat right i could buy daddy cool and ram some scorpion blower motors in it with a original paint job and be further ahead....

Keep them coming.....

So do it!!
Daddy Cool would be an awesome ride to bring back.
She's been sitting for a long time now.

Whatever happened to Ratmans old Mich Light boat? I know he sold it before he fled the country:rofl:
I thought I remember hearing it was going to get turned into a CC by some fisherman guy.
Damn shame if that's what happened.
There ya go Mike, you need to save Daddy Cool before it turns into a CC.

Dude! Sweet!
09-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Mich Light was bought and finsihed by the owners of Daddy Cool. Crazy Greek Racing (the Bacchius'). They've been racing it in P4 for a couple years now, which is why Daddy Cool is for sale, if recollection serves me right.

MikeyFIN
09-06-2009, 03:34 AM
What a relief to hear.

nocigarette
09-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Dug up a few more pics, the old man said it also use to be raced under the name streaker......

nocigarette
09-06-2009, 07:29 AM
a couple of when it was done.........I am the little guy in the middle.....Funny how a offshore bug can bite ya when you are just 3 yrs old...

Ratickle
09-06-2009, 07:34 AM
a couple of when it was done.........I am the little guy in the middle.....Funny how a offshore bug can bite ya when you are just 3 yrs old...

One lucky 3 year old bud.........:26: :03: :26: :03: :26:

It was a 38, right?

Ratickle
09-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Here is a link to SI archives. Preston Henn used to race Streaker.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1091381/index.htm

It was a weird, difficult day, rough and foggy. Big waves are usually caused by wind, which in compensation sweeps the fog away. But now there were both waves and fog, and as the boats smashed down from five-foot crests and compasses swung wildly, the visibility was less than half a mile. With Magoon temporarily dead in the water, Preston Henn, in the 38-foot Bertram Streaker, and Joel Halpern, current point leader in U.S. offshore competition, in the 38-foot Cobra Beep Beep, had raced into the lead—only to miss a 16-foot-high buoy in the fog and spend 20 minutes searching for it again. At least four of the other boats darted wildly about the ocean, thoroughly lost. And no one seemed able to locate the sponsor of the race, Japanese restaurateur Rocky Aoki (SI, March 1), in the 35-foot Cigarette named Benihana. Before the race Aoki had said, "It will be the first time in sports that a sponsor awards himself his own prize." Would the all-too-scrutable Aoki miss this opportunity to pat himself on the back? Maybe.

Ratickle
09-06-2009, 07:41 AM
From Black Tornado in 2007

Preston Henn owned two Streaker;
in 1974-75 a 38' with double cockpit and a modified deck with a little wheel-house(see the posts #88-89-90 ).
In 1976 he bought a (new?) 38' Competition not in Kevlar 49 named Streaker again coloured in red and white.
In 1978 Henn raced with another (third) 38' this time in Kevlar 49,the Natural Light, coloured in sky-blue. I think that this boat was owned by the Anheuser boss Bernie Little like alls the boats that him sponsored.
In 1980 Dale Whittington drove that boat renamed Swap Shop and coloured in red-orange-yellow over the original colours.
It seem that this Natural Light now it's the restored like a Whittaker Moppie of Sammy James.
There wasn't a Streaker 3.

Dude! Sweet!
09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Paul, do you have any familiarity with the story of the Wittingtons and Preston Henn? It has to be one of the most colorful in all of motor racing! :sifone:

Offshore Ginger
09-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Red and white by any chance.....That is a completed boat i am looking for either my dads old bertram or a another project...If it is the boat i am thinking of.......done right and a nice boat.......
Pm me if it is really for sale... It is the red and white one and has been for sale awhile .

MikeyFIN
09-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Paul, do you have any familiarity with the story of the Wittingtons and Preston Henn? It has to be one of the most colorful in all of motor racing! :sifone:

One of the most colorful yes but the Top price surely has to go to Vittorio Brambilla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittorio_Brambilla)... the Monza Gorilla

nocigarette
09-07-2009, 08:45 AM
It is the red and white one and has been for sale awhile .

My dad and i took a blast in my magnum for his birthday 2 years ago, shot up to brownies and that bertram was sitting at the dock........He almost fell in the water he got so excited.....

nocigarette
09-07-2009, 08:47 AM
one lucky 3 year old bud.........:26: :03: :26: :03: :26:

It was a 38, right?

nocigarette
09-18-2009, 06:58 PM
It is the red and white one and has been for sale awhile .

Spoke with the owner in person on saturday told me the boat was sold to a gentleman from dubai....

Good news is he is leaving it in miami at his summer home...

Offshore Ginger
09-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Spoke with the owner in person on saturday told me the boat was sold to a gentleman from dubai....

Good news is he is leaving it in miami at his summer home... I just saw something about it being sold also and even though mag's are probably one of my all time favorite boats the 27 sport and the Starfire the Berts are kickass and built like a brick $hit house and in the bert line it is the Barron and 38 .:26:

Top Banana
09-18-2009, 09:57 PM
From Black Tornado in 2007

Preston Henn owned two Streaker;
in 1974-75 a 38' with double cockpit and a modified deck with a little wheel-house(see the posts #88-89-90 ).
In 1976 he bought a (new?) 38' Competition not in Kevlar 49 named Streaker again coloured in red and white.
In 1978 Henn raced with another (third) 38' this time in Kevlar 49,the Natural Light, coloured in sky-blue. I think that this boat was owned by the Anheuser boss Bernie Little like alls the boats that him sponsored.
In 1980 Dale Whittington drove that boat renamed Swap Shop and coloured in red-orange-yellow over the original colours.
It seem that this Natural Light now it's the restored like a Whittaker Moppie of Sammy James.
There wasn't a Streaker 3.

The Whittington's drove the boat in a Bimini race and lifted the first 15 feet of the deck with a stuff....it was just sitting there flapping like a seagull's wings. However, that is the boat that was restored so nicely and just sold to the guy from the middle east.....They are just fiberglass folks...they can be fixed and fixed again.

Ratickle
09-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Charlie, Have you heard anything about where it may be????? That's a pretty unique boat to just disappear.

Black Tornado
09-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I believed that on the origins of this Bertram there were no more doubts.
He should be this.
The first 38' Bertram for Preston Henn with which it won the Sport Championship in the 1975.

Ratickle
09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
He should be this.
The first 38' Bertram for Preston Henn with which it won the Sport Championship in the 1975.

Glad you're here. You can see I quoted you earlier in the thread. Trying to find this boat. Seems way to unique to disappear......

h2oMag
09-24-2009, 12:26 AM
He should be this.

BT, It is :sifone: you never know what you will find in my box of stuff from back in the day.. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Mike Im still looking for your dad's Bertram, GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK ON.....:cheers2:

TrippM
09-24-2009, 08:28 AM

The Whittingtons had a very colorful history for sure. They raced boats, cars, planes and owned Road Atlanta for a while before taking a government sponsored vacation from their side business. They did very well in car racing and actually won LeMans in 1979.

I believe they are still active in aviation.

Ratickle
09-24-2009, 08:31 AM
When Sean put up the question, I had no idea of the entire story. Have done some searching, still don't know it all.

Maybe this winter or something a story thread can be started.....

nocigarette
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
BT, It is :sifone: you never know what you will find in my box of stuff from back in the day.. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Mike Im still looking for your dad's Bertram, GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK ON.....:cheers2:

Thanks mark, good to be back....Boated all summer with clean hands (gotta love outboards).....I will have to make it up and see ya soon.....

nocigarette
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
He should be this.

That was the ad my dad responded to and bought the boat....

Dude! Sweet!
09-24-2009, 06:00 PM
The Whittingtons had a very colorful history for sure. They raced boats, cars, planes and owned Road Atlanta for a while before taking a government sponsored vacation from their side business. They did very well in car racing and actually won LeMans in 1979.

I believe they are still active in aviation.

Legend or rumor has it that they used the back straight at Road Atlanta as an airport for their "side business"... :sifone:

Black Tornado
09-24-2009, 06:22 PM

And does thing wait to make them to see?!:boobflash:

Black Tornado
09-24-2009, 06:25 PM
That was the ad my dad responded to and bought the boat....

It would be interesting to know the ID number of the hull.

Ratickle
09-24-2009, 10:47 PM
It would be interesting to know the ID number of the hull.

He's checking on that, if they have the MC numbers, or a registration with the coast guard.

Flying Dutchman
09-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Not the bertram, but definitely old school...

http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/1380433067.html

CAL500
11-29-2009, 02:16 AM
This one?

where did you get this picture , I think I am in this boat with merrick lewis .the race is miami nassau 65 sonny miller I would like a copy $

Badcompanya81
11-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Check EBAY, 32' Cobra re-listed!!

Crash-Box
12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/48-Viareggio-Canopy-Super-Cat-Lamborghini-V12s-WOW_W0QQitemZ170420426700QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPower_Motorboats?hash=item27add 957cc[/u

Brownie
12-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Cal500. That is Lord Lucan and Bob Nordskog in the 1966 Miami/Nassau. They were first to Cat Cay, followed by another Brit, Billy Shand-Kidd, in one of our 28' Donzi's.

Geronimo36
12-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Here's a project for ya. :driving:
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/classifieds/index.php?page=out&id=415

CAL500
12-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Cal500. That is Lord Lucan and Bob Nordskog in the 1966 Miami/Nassau. They were first to Cat Cay, followed by another Brit, Billy Shand-Kidd, in one of our 28' Donzi's.

thanks brownie, I was in that boat, in 1966 with merrick lewis at the gateway marathon starting from west palm. the name holocaust was on the side.That was the first time I rode with merrick. we broke down,came back on one engine.I am trying to find photo of that race, with that boat running.Iwas working at thunderbird at that time,in north miami. thanks for the correction. I rode the rest of the year with merrick in the red 28 thunderbird thunderbolt #50/ than changed to # 250 in europe, 5 more races . miami nassau I rode with dick genth in the metal flake gold 28 thunderbird with twin chrysler 440 hp DNF sonny miller

26 Spyder
01-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Does this boat interest you? It is available and ready for resto..

The owner has several Bertrams that need work, I looked at one of his 28s last year before I bought the Squadron, The 28 had never been rigged, it looked like it just came out of the mold!

26 Spyder
01-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Here is a couple more pics...

I also have pics of the 28 if there is interest.
Shoot me an email if you want the owners contact info.

TGC-32
01-06-2010, 11:52 PM
I might be interested in that Bertram. Please PM me with the contact info, or e-mail it to me at tcaruso@totalmarine.com.

Thanks!

Tom
Total Marine

Offshore Ginger
01-07-2010, 01:02 AM

The owner has several Bertrams that need work, I looked at one of his 28s last year before I bought the Squadron, The 28 had never been rigged, it looked like it just came out of the mold! A 28 barron , shoot me a PM with details and your number .

Ratickle
01-07-2010, 06:52 AM

The owner has several Bertrams that need work, I looked at one of his 28s last year before I bought the Squadron, The 28 had never been rigged, it looked like it just came out of the mold!

Sweet stuff you've found there......:)

cosmic12
01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Did anyone do anything about that black 28??????? And how many more are thier?