PDA

View Full Version : Forum Features Issues

Chris
10-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Please lets try to keep this thread as clean as possible...

I want to start a master list of things that you are seeing so that we can prioritize and address them.

This is what I have so far;

Avatars and pics/files not working

Search is disabled

Not enough smileys (you guys and your f'ing dancing bananas)

No logo on site

No "New Posts" button
and, to address some "coming soon" issues that have already been mentioned...

Yes, we will have something called a "Content Management System", or as they call it, a CMS. SO will have a front page- this will be an electronic magazine. It will be a place where much non-discussion information will reside. New items will be posted there and as they are replaced, they will move to an archive area. If Charlie McCarty does an interview with Michael Aronow, that will appear there. If Eddie Young writes an article about fuel injection, it will be there. As new articles appear, Eddie's will move into a tech archive and Charlies will go to a HORBA section. You'll be able to access them at any time via a search or an index. I'm really looking forward to a huge volume of entertaining and informative articles that will fill our online knowledge base for years to come. Select people will also be offered the opprotunity to BLOG on the site. This is more of a one-way forum where the author does the "talking" but does afford some interacitve ability. For example, Dean Gellner may have a blog on engine building and performance marine engines. He may decide to talk about a particular topic today and answer submitted questions the next. If you have something to say and feel others would be interested, let us know- there's no limit to what can be done in these blogs- as long as they are interesting and entertaining.

We'll also be looking at building an online interactive source guide. If you want to know who sells, for example, sea strainers, this would be the place to look. We'll have all the manufacturers, all their sales outlets and if things go as planned, objective opinions from both experts and actual users about each product.

Ideas are welcome- if you've seen something elsewhere that might make this a better site, or if you just have an idea, let us know and we can toss it into the hat,

Back to the topic at hand...

What else is missing, needs fixed or changed? Or added?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
What has been decided about URL's in signatures?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2008, 03:22 PM
And what has been done to prevent banned posters from returning. Will they appear with there old names, In a ghost type style, prevented completely?

Chris
10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
I assume you mean having a URL hitlinked from the signature line? Have you tried?

There was another issue at OSO and that was having GIF animations in sig lines (I had one). I think they turned it off over resource issues. Mine was 3rd party hosted so I don't see how that impacted their server, but I'll add it to my list.

Chris
10-13-2008, 03:24 PM
And what has been done to prevent banned posters from returning. Will they appear with there old names, In a ghost type style, prevented completely?

Heather has a weapon. ;)

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
I assume you mean having a URL hitlinked from the signature line? Have you tried?

There was another issue at OSO and that was having GIF animations in sig lines (I had one). I think they turned it off over resource issues. Mine was 3rd party hosted so I don't see how that impacted their server, but I'll add it to my list.

Yes, but not today.

Thanks

Chris
10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
That would most likely be an admin thing- I'll add it to Heather's list.

Buoy
10-13-2008, 06:19 PM
That would most likely be an admin thing- I'll add it to Heather's list.

We'll try to keep Heather's list short. She's got to be a busy gal.

Chris
10-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Yes, but we need to find 'em and fix 'em. We also have paid tech personnel that can do this stuff. It's good to have Heather involved since she's going to be steering the ship on a daily basis, it's good for her to know what all the buttons on the dash do.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2008, 08:12 PM
What has been decided about URL's in signatures?

Done now it works Thanks

stecz20
10-13-2008, 10:48 PM
i cant post pics.....
boat section in for sale...

increase pic size....

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2008, 09:43 AM
I tried posting a pic in the pic thread. Found jpeg listed 628x280 as option.

392x206 jpeg would not load, said invalid file type

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
After trying again I realize my jpeg image turns into a jpg when uploaded and is invalid.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Same on avatar and profile picture. The JPEG image gets renamed once selected to jpg.

stecz20
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
sounds like its busted....